A Conversation for The h2g2 Literary Corner: Blockade Runners

Cotton

Post 1

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I will have to read this, thank yousmiley - biggrin

One of the parts I will be looking for is the 'free' cotton.

From everything I have read the sale, or transfer, of cotton was specifically banned by the Confederate government. They hoped that the lack of raw material would force the British, and other Europeans to join the cause on their side.

As you said it just opened up the markets in India and Egypt.

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S

Cotton

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I never heard about this ban. smiley - bigeyes Have you got a source for me?

Cotton

Post 3

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Here are a couple links http://www.civilwarhome.com/cottondiplomacy.html and http://www.heeve.com/american-history/king-cotton-diplomacy-its-objectives-and-reasons-for-failure.html

It appears that by the time of the story some trade might have been possible.

I did read the full story last night and found several snarky remarks of my ownsmiley - biggrin

I have been to both Charleston and Fort Moultree.

F smiley - dolphin S

Cotton

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Thank you! smiley - biggrin It is as sure as sure that I'll need that information professionally, probably next year. smiley - winkeye

I'm so glad other people are susceptible to the temptation to MST3K their reading...you know, make snarky remarks like those robots on the TV show...

If you ever get the urge to send us something, we'd be tickled - just make sure the material is Public Domain. We aren't allowed to snark over copyrighted Stuff. smiley - winkeye But historical figures are sitting ducks...smiley - whistle

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The h2g2 Literary Corner: Blockade Runners

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more