A Conversation for Actors, Petroleum, and History: John Wilkes Booth and the Dramatic Oil Company

Peer Review: A87852081 - Actors, Petroleum, and History: John Wilkes Booth and the Dramatic Oil Company

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Entry: Actors, Petroleum, and History: John Wilkes Booth and the Dramatic Oil Company - A87852081
Author: Dmitri Gheorgheni - U1590784

This month's Create challenge is to find a local claim to fame. Yesterday, I took a trip over the county line to Franklin, PA. A little online research turned up this odd connection between Venango County and Lincoln's assassin.

I can't help wondering what the series 'Dallas' would have been like if it had been set in the northern Appalachians...

Anyway, here's a brief and, I hope, amusing tale about some would-be oil tycoons.

A87852081 - Actors, Petroleum, and History: John Wilkes Booth and the Dramatic Oil Company

Post 2

Oh, and I failed to notice this while writing, but today is the 150th anniversary of the fatal attack... Mr Lincoln died the next morning. smiley - rose

A87852081 - Actors, Petroleum, and History: John Wilkes Booth and the Dramatic Oil Company

Post 3

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

An interesting bit of history. I wonder if it might be worth mentioning that 'shooting an oil well' was an early form of 'fracking'? http://aoghs.org/technology/hydraulic-fracturing/ With the current controversy it might be worth a mention.

It would also be worth knowing the price of a barrel of oil at the time, and maybe a mention that the only other source of oil was hunting whales (but that might just be me).

Will try to comment more later.

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 4

Yeah, that would just be you. smiley - winkeye

I'll see if I can find out how much a barrel of oil sold for - even though that looks too much like what I do for a living...

smiley - ok Good idea about the fracking.

Post 5

Okay, in Venango County in 1864, oil prices soared to a whopping $8.13 a barrel.

And I'm still not nattering on about whales in this Entry. smiley - winkeye The subject is John Wilkes Booth's attempt to get rich quick.

The history of petroleum will no doubt yield many interesting topics for *other* Guide Entries.

The subject's a gusher. smiley - run

Post 6

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I tried to help you out with a cost comparison, no luck yet, but I did find this link http://www.petroleumhistory.org/OilHistory/pages/Whale/whale.html which goes a long way to explain the success of the Pennsylvania oil fields during the Civil War.

No need to mention any large marine mammals, just thought it interestingsmiley - winkeye

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 7

smiley - rofl I put in the price, and that's as far as it will go. Enough petroleum economics.

Post 8

Bluebottle

Another highly enjoyable entry that I can't contribute to.smiley - smiley

Except, of course, to play the Isle of Wight game in which I try to come up with a tenuous/tedious link to the Isle of Wight. No-one knows why I do this (least of all me) but if I didn't I know how disappointed Dmitri would besmiley - winkeye

So – did you know that John Wilkes Booth was named after John Wilkes, who was one of the first people who wasn't either a fisherman or soldier to live in my home town of Sandown? (His house, Villakin, is gone – they have a big blue plaque outside 'Ladies Realm', a women's underwear shop located on the High Street).

<BB<

Post 9

I knew John Wilkes Booth was named for the admirable John Wilkes - but I had no idea there was an Isle of Wight connection! smiley - biggrin Amazing!

This is more fun than Bacon numbers. smiley - rofl

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 11

Bluebottle

I look forward to seeing this entry’s final act on the front page!

<BB<

Post 12

bobstafford

smiley - magic well done smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Actors, Petroleum, and History: John Wilkes Booth and the Dramatic Oil Company

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more