A Conversation for Eleanor Fortescue-Brickdale - Artist

Peer Review: A87846132 - Eleanor Fortescue-Brickdale - Artist

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

Entry: Eleanor Fortescue-Brickdale - Artist - A87846132
Author: SashaQ - eccentric Editor - U9936370

An Entry about one of my favourite artists, as a couple of her paintings are owned by Liverpool Museums smiley - biggrin

A87846132 - Eleanor Fortescue-Brickdale - Artist

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Thank you Sasha, this is lovely, I enjoyed reading about Eleanor, and what a fabulous name! I've had a look at some of her paintings and The Uninvited Guest is really striking! I particularly love portraits of angels and so that really appealedsmiley - angel and the bride is simply gorgeous!

A tiny nitpick: "It is not known what the illness was, but it affected her hands, so she was unable to draw or paint, and it also affected her eyes, so when she recovered enough to be able to hold a pencil or paintbrush she had difficulty with small designs but found it easier to produce larger works instead, particularly designs for altarpieces and stained glass windows in churches around the Bristol area." is a huge sentence, I suggest breaking it up thus:

>>Perhaps as a result of working so hard, in 1923 Eleanor fell ill. It is not known what the illness was, but it affected her hands, so she was unable to draw or paint. It also affected her eyes, so when she recovered enough to be able to hold a pencil or paintbrush she had difficulty with small designs. Instead, she found it easier to produce larger works, particularly designs for altarpieces and stained glass windows in churches around the Bristol area.<<

And you could link to A686748 on stained glass earlier in the Entry.smiley - ok

I do love stained glass windows, there are some stunning ones in Grimsby Minster and I have seen some marvellous ones abroad.
smiley - biggrin

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - flyhi

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Ah, a Pre-Raphaelite...you have to adore them. smiley - biggrin

This is lovely, short and sweet.

May I venture a suggestion to make it a teeny bit longer?

Could you take one representative painting, link to it, and explain briefly what it means, what it does, and perhaps what inspired it? You know, give us an intro to her work that way? Just a few sentences would do.

I found 'The Forerunner' interesting, but didn't know what it was about.

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks GB smiley - biggrin

Huge sentence broken up as suggested, and link added smiley - ok

Thanks Dmitri smiley - biggrin

Excellent idea to include a specific example of the style - I shall check the book catalogue tonight and see what I can do smiley - ok

Post 5

I was intrigued about "The Uninvited Guest" and who/what was uninvited - was it the angel, or was there a bee (or waspsmiley - yikes) tangled in the bride's train which the bridesmaid was trying to set free?smiley - biggrin

I could actually look at that painting for hours, smiley - bigeyes

smiley - biggrin

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - flyhi

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

Done smiley - ok

Yes, I like the Pre-Raphaelite style, and there is so much detail in Eleanor's paintings that you can look at them for hours, or see something different every time you encounter one. My favourite is the Little Foot Page, as I like the blue and green colours rather than the red in The Forerunner, and the detail in the fabrics and the forest background is exquisite smiley - ok

Post 7

Thank you. smiley - applause That's a big help to the reader - it gives us a way to appreciate the work. smiley - smiley

Post 8

Thanks Sasha, that's a definite improvementsmiley - ok

I can see why your favourite is the Little Foot Page, I am imagining a girl chopping off her hair to get a job as a Page in the Royal Court. There is a lot of red in The Forerunner! But it would make an excellent jigsaw...I will have to investigatesmiley - laugh

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - artist

Post 9

SashaQ - happysad

Thank you smiley - biggrin

The story of the Little Foot Page is interesting (what little I know of it from the description of Eleanor's painting) - the girl's boyfriend was called up to go to war and she was worried about him, so she decided to join up as his page so she could look after him.

Ah - I went a-googling and found the ballad - interesting indeed... smiley - erm that she was in love with a knight, so he told her to be his page, then they went to his house together where it seems he was already married - the page had a baby in the stable, then the knight's wife found her and they all lived happily ever after!

I like the painting on its own better, so it has multiple meanings depending on the viewer smiley - biggrin

Post 10

minorvogonpoet

I hadn't heard of Eleanor Fortescue-Brickdale before, so found this article interesting and informative. smiley - smiley The link to the selection of her paintings is very useful.

I don't supose there were many successful women painters at this time. Did she have difficulty establishing herself as a painter? Maybe I'm being a tiresome feminist smiley - erm but I thought it might be nice to call her 'an outstanding woman artist' or something similar.

Post 11

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks mvp smiley - biggrin

Good point - I shall investigate and add paragraphs to put her art into the context of the time. smiley - artist

Post 12

SashaQ - happysad

I added a paragraph - see what you think. smiley - biggrin

Post 13

smiley - ok

Post 14

minorvogonpoet

smiley - ok

Post 15

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - biggrin

I found another book that mentioned Eleanor, so the Legacy section has been updated smiley - ok

Post 16

smiley - ok

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 18

Bluebottle

smiley - applauseCongratulations!smiley - artist

<BB<

Post 19

smiley - artistsmiley - applause

Post 20

minorvogonpoet

Well done! smiley - applause

Key: Complain about this post