Environment Agency

0 Conversations

The Environment Agency is a Government organisation in the UK that comes under the umbrella of the Department for Food and Rural Affairs. It is responsible for the protection and preservation of the environment in the UK, including water pollution, flooding, and industrial pollution prevention and control. It does this generally through the provision of consents or licences, which determine when and how much of something a party is permitted to discharge into the environment, and enforces those licences by means of Environment Officers1.

The Agency was formed in 1995 out of the dusty remnants of Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Pollution and the National Rivers Authority, and a great many of the employees have been working in the same job for 30 years or more, through various reorganisations and re-badgings.

Scotland has its own agency, called the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency. They pay better.

1Environment Officers are the employees who used to be called Environmental Protection Officers. In the year 2002, however, the Agency underwent a re-organisation, according to their Vision2, called BRITE, or Better Regulation In The Environment. If you ever meet an Agency employee, and want to get them ranting, just ask them if anything changed much during BRITE.2See the website

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A981632

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more