The Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything... With new Clear, and Concise explanation appended...

1 Conversation

I think I know what the Ultimate Question and answer mean... 

What is The Answer for The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything? 

42. 

That’s it. 

That’s The Answer. 

But you never really understood what The Ultimate Question was, did you? 

So The Answer doesn’t make sense without it. If you knew what the The Ultimate Question was, you might understand why The Answer is 42, and if that makes sense to you, you are one enlightened dude, dude. Do you wanna know The Ultimate Question? Are you ready? 

Ok, DON’T PANIC: 

What do you get if you multiply six by nine? 

Forty-Two. 

It has been noted that in base 13, 6 multiplied by 9 will equal 42. 

Douglas Adams later joked, "I don't make jokes in base 13". 

Who would write a mathematical joke in base 13? 

A mathematical God. 

Need more of an explanation? 

It's a joke. 

It's The Joke. 

The single greatest joke that there ever could be, sort of like a Zen Koan. 

That's the answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. 

It came to me in a vision, divine revelation maybe, or it might’ve been vegetable induced hallucination, either way, it makes completely perfect sense to me, if it does to you, great! 

If not, then I hope I’ve helped you on your path to enlightenment, Dude. 

If you want to know the purpose of The Universe, why are we all here, what should we all be doing, how shall we lead our lives, this is the message that the Universe gave me: 

In one marathon briefing, everything was laid before me; the entire history of the Cosmos, from the Big Bang, to the Gnab Gib. And then there were the multifarious threads from every single disconnected plotline that comes together in the final act, and it all converges into one hilarious singularity of Cosmic Consciousness. 

In the Beginning, there was One, One Unitive Consciousness, that was, and is, its own reason for being, Cogito Ergo Sum, I think, therefore I am. 

I Am Who Am. 

And then for some reason, most likely a bit of fun, it got bored one day, this unity divided, and fractured, and compartmentalized itself, a being of pure thought energy and consciousness blew itself apart at the Big Bang, so it could be the storyteller and the audience, without giving any of the twists away to itself. 

All of us are these shards of consciousness, pieces of a bigger whole that will come back together in the end, every detail matters to the whole, every throwaway line is vital, all of the tragedies and tribulations get redeemed in the end when this massive, ornate, impossibly intricate universe ties everything together for the big reveal. 

So relax, and enjoy the ride!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87852784

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more