Carved in Stone?

1 Conversation


Hi Dmitri;


I have been meaning to bother you with this for quite some time. With your knowledge of historical research, and the city of Philadelphia, I would very much like to read your reaction to this dilemma.


I posted this in my Journal #9, as a part of NoMoJoPo last year About a 19th century Naval Officer. To save you having to read the entire post the important facts, and questions follow here;


I found a private family history was published in 1910 that includes a section about the ancestry of the Leib family and even a paragraph about Thomas, his wife and children. As it always seems to happen the more answer you find, the more questions they raise. Journal #9



However my biggest puzzle was when I located his grave

According to records he was either 48 or 49 years old at the time of his death. Had he been born in 1806 he would only have been 5 years old when he joined the navy and 45 at the time of his death.

I have found a baptism record for Caroline Leib dated 1801, if the date of both births are off by three years it would place Thomas birth in 1803 it would put him at 8 years old when joining the navy, too young to go to sea, but such things were done so the family could draw his salary and the child would gain seniority. He would have been 14 when he was assigned to a ship, usually the minimum age for active duty. Perhaps the numbers carved in stone are wrong?

Laurel Hill Cemetery was only established in 1836, so obviously the infant had been moved from another site. If her date of birth from the earlier grave had been mis-read and someone had added Thomas' date only knowing he was two years older could explain the problem. Except that he was survived by his wife and three children. The tombstone is obviously quite expensive, and you would think they would have corrected it.

Any thought will be appreciated.



According to records he was either 48 or 49 years old at the time of his death. Had he been born in 1806 he would only have been 5 years old when he joined the navy and 45 at the time of his death.

I have found a baptism record for Carline Leib dated 1801, 'the usual ceremony omitted (this indicates an infant who is not expected to survive long). If the date of both births are off by three years it would place Thomas birth in 1803 it would put him at 8 years old when joining the navy, too young to go to sea, but such things were done so the family could draw his salary and the child would gain seniority. He would have been 14 when he was assigned to a ship, usually the minimum age for active duty. Perhaps the numbers carved in stone are wrong?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87847087

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more