Freebie Film Tip #26: San Francisco, Open that Golden Gate

0 Conversations

Freebie Film Tip #26: San Francisco, Open that Golden Gate

A San Francisco cable car.

The Prelinger Archives are a valuable source of film material on the history of San Francisco. They go pretty far back, too.

San Francisco famously suffered an earthquake, and resultant fires, that almost totally destroyed the city in 1906. Since this was just at the beginning of the film era, we have a unique opportunity here to observe history in action.

This little film from 1906 gives you a glimpse of San Francisco before the great earthquake. Did you have any idea what a modern, forward-looking city this was? I didn't. This clip shows a trip down Market Street in a cable car. It's like a journey in your own personal time machine. Think about it: those people were really there, going about their business that day. It's like being there yourself – you can notice every little detail.

So what did the earthquake do? Take a look. It looks like bomb damage. This is a rare opportunity to compare before-and-after.

Here's an Edison newsreel showing the damage and recovery work. Those soldiers are bringing in supplies – by mule. Refugees are everywhere, even as the fires rage through the ruined city.

San Francisco recovered, though. A few years later, in 1914, you can see the 'Barbary Coast' back doing what it did best: attracting sailors on shore leave. I like the dive called 'The So Different'.
San Francisco had so far recovered by 1911 that it started building an exposition site. The exposition opened in 1915. Here's a 1940s film that compiled the 1915 footage for us and provided narrative – so turn your sound back on.

Elektra rolled her eyes at the violin music and overwrought narration, but stop and think about it: this narrator was caught up, as we are, by the time-travel aspect of this visit to the Phantom City. You see, back in those days, they'd go to elaborate lengths to build these exposition 'cities' in places like New York, Chicago, Paris. . . leave them there for a year, and then dismantle them. Sort of a magical act, in my view: making a place be there, and then not be there. Millions would visit and fill the site with oohs and aahs and laughter. Then it would go away again.

This particular glimpse of the fair is worth watching until the end. Old as the film is, you'll find that the night-flying airplane stunt with the flames coming from the wings is as good as any CGI. (And a good deal more dangerous.)

The Prelinger Archives are an online treasure. Stroll through them when you have the time. Tardises optional.

Pretty wooden houses in San Francisco, California.
Freebie Film Tips Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87778444

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more