Ski Tuning Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Ski Tuning

4 Conversations

The best method for a full tune-up of your Alpine skis is as follows:

  1. Sharpen the edges
  2. Wax the base
  3. Scrape/brush (racing only)

You must always sharpen before you wax, because otherwise you will scrape your wax off with the sharpening device. All the tools and materials used in this process can be bought at any ski shop.

Sharpening

This task can be done with nothing more than a metal file. However, it is advisable to use a bevel tool, because a plain file can ruin the edge of your ski if used improperly.

To sharpen edges with a plain file, first wrap one end of the file with five or six layers of electric tape or duct tape (to make sure the file only touches the edge). Then place the file on your ski with the tape in the middle of the base of the ski. Run the file the length of the ski, making sure the file touches only the edge. Repeat the motion until the desired sharpness is reached.

When sharpening edges with bevel tool, depending on the style and make of your tool, remember that it will have different settings of degrees. For most recreational skiers 90-89° is good. (On the bevel tool itself will be different placements for the different degrees. Racers should know what bevel they ski.) Following the directions on the box, place a file in the bevel tool. After that is done, place the bevel tool on the bottom of one ski and run the tool along the edge. Repeat the motion until the desired sharpness is achieved. Then repeat on the other ski.

Waxing

This task is very important if you value going fast. You can buy rub-on wax, but experience shows it is a waste of money. The best method is to use iron-on wax. To perform this procedure you will need hard wax (purchasable at any ski shop) and an old iron kept for this purpose. This is important because the wax will ruin the iron. Have both skis turned upside-down right next to each other. Set the iron to a low setting - it's important the iron doesn't burn your skis. When the iron is warm, place the wax on the iron. It will start to drip. With the dripping wax make wave like figures down the length of your skis. After there is one wave down each ski apply the iron directly to the bottom of your skis. Run the iron down the skis until the wax is uniformly spread across them, and you're done.

Extra Speed Goodies

For racers who want to shave extra hundredths off their time, it is wise to scrape and brush the base of your skis before you ski the course. These two operations are very simple and all you need is a brush with plastic bristles and a scraper (metal scratches the base, plastic is preferred). Simply scrape all wax off base then brush it down to facilitate flow. Then have a good run.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A688269

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more