A Conversation for Project: Film Composers

Sub-editor at your Service

Post 1

J'au-æmne

{continued from http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F48888?thread=128460 } I was wondering if it should be chorale? *shrug* Its a long time since my project went through the university; do you know how I am supposed to edit the entries? ie, do I just give you a list of corrections, or what?


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 2

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

I have absolutely no idea, as this is my first time on a project. Someone on the sub-ed mailing list should know though.

I also have to ask about my Danny Elfman article. The problem is that there is already an edited article on Elfman, but it doesn't cover the points I wanted to cover, namely Elfman's lack of formal training. Likewise, because he's unusual among film composers in this respect, I don't want to leave him out. Is it acceptable to have a second article covering a different approach to a topic?

The Prophet.


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 3

J'au-æmne

I'll ask about both those points on the sub-ed mailig list and get back to you, but I think that they might say the two entries on Danny Elfman should be combined.


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 4

Tom I.

Hi, I just sort of fell into this conversation... Hope you guys don't mind!

When it comes to the Elfman issue, I'd say that an article about mr. Elfman's lack of formal competence is a different article from a more biographical one. Just as long as there is a link to the other article, and maybe even an explicit mention, I'd keep the articles apart.

Tom


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 5

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

Joanna: I wait with baited breath for the outcome of your enquiries.

Tom: The thing is that my article also contains biographical information and a filmography. The existing article is fine, it just doesn't address the stuff I'm interested in. We'll see what the word from on high is, I guess.

The Prophet.


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 6

DoctorGonzo

Hi there smiley - smiley

Just thought I'd poke my nose in for two reasons. Firstly, to say hello to Joanna (hello smiley - winkeye ), and secondly to give you the happy news that as of next week I'm working longer shifts, but only four days a week, which should mean I can increase my work-rate here. Couple that with the two-week extension, and Lalo shouldn't be a problem.

smiley - cheers

DG


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 7

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

Grand. On my side of things, Ennio Morricone is about half-done. Ah; at last things are coming together.

The Prophet.


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 8

J'au-æmne

Verily have I spoken unto the powers via the Sub-editors email list, and Chris said that he though that keeping the two Danny Elfman entries separate is cool, if the existing one is linked from the project smiley - smiley
He also said that they could either make copies of all the entries in the project for the subeditor to edit, meaning you could keep the originals but I'd have to change all the links from one project page to another, or *all* editing rights on the original entries could be transferred to me, so I wouldn't need to change any links but you'd have to keep copies of the originals (if you wanted to) offline.
I'd prefer working with copies personally, I don't mind changing the links.


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 9

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

OK; that's great about the Elfman article.

I agree that it's probably best to make copies for you to sub. Right now, John Williams and Danny Elfman are ready to be subbed (remembering that the Elfman needs a link to the other page at A245639). I'm still looking to switch the Loduca into something more like the format of the other articles, and Herrmann and Morricone are both unfinished.

I'll let you know, here, when Morriconne is ready; DoctorGonzo can do the same with Herrmann, and then with his Lalo Shifrin article.

We can either keep the current index, and I'll switch the links as articles are declared ready for subbing and have their copies made, or we can just switch the editing rights on the index to you. Which would you prefer?

The Prophet.


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 10

J'au-æmne

I think you should keep hold of the index page since not everything will be getting new numbers immediately- IMO that would be the best way to keep it up to date...


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 11

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

Okey-dokey.

The Prophet


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 12

beeline

Hi folks,

Glad to see this is going so well - I've added the project to the 'Current Projects' page as well, now that it's been put on my plate... (Oh, the power! smiley - winkeye)


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 13

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Er, sorry to hijack this thread. Chris, could you also add my project on Sexual Orientation? It's at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A543395


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 14

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

First off Wiigii! We're on the current projects page.

Secondly, alas, the project was intended to go under film and cultural studies, although I note that said department no longer exists, having become film and photography. I told you they were going to close the department and rent the buildings for conferences. Oh well, I'll change the dept. on the index page.

The Prophet.


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 15

J'au-æmne

I hate the way everything has to go for conferences during the summer. Next thing you know you'll be out and someone will be conducting a guided tour through your personal space with a view to renting it out! smiley - winkeye


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 16

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

Just to draw sub-editorial attention to our latest article. Svabhava (I hope I spelled it right) has written one on John Barry.

The Prophet


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 17

beeline

The, er, Cultural Studies department fell down, I'm afraid, but Film got so lonely that I introduced it to Photography. I was thinking of moving Cultural Studies over to Sociology anyway... Nice shiny new building... lots of glass...

Thanks Fragilis - I've added your project, which looks very interesting.

smiley - cheers


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 18

DoctorGonzo

Tsk - Cultural Studies is a viable subject for a university (we got to study vampires and the gothic novel; The Simpsons and post-modernism; shopping; cyberculture - it was ace)

Anyway... I've got two days off this week (Wed & Thurs) so you should hopefully see some improvement in the Herrmann entry. Maybe I should join this procrastinators society...

DG


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 19

beeline

Yeah, I was thinking about joining too... smiley - winkeye

I'll get the architects onto the New Cultural Studies department at once - I never meant to get rid of it entirely. Influences like The Simpsons and all sorts of literary and filmic creations are thoroughly interesting and important. Not to mention excellently entertaining... smiley - smiley


Sub-editor at your Service

Post 20

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

Quick update.

I've added an entry on Jerry Goldsmith and one on Alfred Newman. All of my entries but the Newman are pretty much sub-ed ready now. Newman is currently empty, just there as a placeholder until I get the research done. Turns out he pretty much wrote the book - literally - on film scores, so I figure he should get a mention.

Any word on Herrmann and Shifrin?

If anyone needs more time, let me know and I'll put down for another project extension, but for preference I'd like to get everything ship-shape by the 17th..

Cheers,
The Prophet.


Key: Complain about this post