Delete 2

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 20th May 2024

This week's title is Make a Wish. Clockwise from upper left: A dandelion puffball silhouetted against a partially-cloudy sky, a chipmunk with full pouches standing on its hind legs, the double tower of St Agnes' Church in Medulin, Croatia, a mama goose looking proud of her two fuzzy goslings, a purple sign advertising a 'Giant Flea Market', sunset over the Adriatic with flying seagulls, a black-and-white shot of a sunlit windmill, and a large snail on a rock.

Do you make wishes on dandelion seedheads? Or is that just a US thing? Lots to be wistful about this week, such as wishing we were there when these photos were taken. Researchers have been everywhere: in gardens, in sun and rain, dark and light, beside the sea, along the river. . . They've seen geese and seagulls and exotic churches a friendly dog, and even reflected on the possibility of giant fleas. Go exploring in this issue. You'll find it rewarding.

The stories are bound to intrigue you. The cinema might make you want to go. (Landmark: Awix has learned how to spell 'Albuquerque'.) The jokes might even make you laugh. Take a chance on the content here. What have you got to lose?

We even have pictures of the aurora borealis event from last weekend. It was a surprise, that solar storm: alarming and beautiful at the same time. The last time we had one this big, it interfered with the electricity on Earth – but all that amounted to at the time was frustration for some telegraphers. Now that we've got a lot more to worry about, we were relieved that all we got were pretty lights.

As if the aurora weren't enough weirdness for one weekend, a sasquatch appeared in the Post Office backyard while we weren't looking. Screwed to the planter and everything. We didn't mind – it's good for a laugh – but we were baffled as to who did it. None of the neighbours saw anything. We've heard of flocking, but this was a new twist. Farmer Hoggett finally confessed to the deed – a master prank on his part. You can see it in the video below.

Have a good week out there, no matter what happens. If things get weird, take a picture or video to prove it and send it to us. The same goes for when things are beautiful, or funny, or just plain interesting, or something the home office on Ursa Minor Beta ought to know about.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.Cover for A Crime Has Been Committed, the latest omnibus book, available from Lulu.
Why should you buy
Proceeds go to site upkeep.
h2g2 fiction?
(Click the pic.)
Plus, they're fun to read!
(Click the pic.)


Quote of the Week:
Them: Hey, no cats in this room.

Me, an intellectual: And yet here I am.


– Jorts, Cat and union activist on Twitter

Dolphins leaping.


h2g2 25th Anniversary Creative Challenge:
h2g2 Memories


Video Extra:
New Friend
Click here in Ripley


CREATURES, MOSTLY SMALL
Red-Billed Teal

Red-Billed Teal by Willem.

BRAINS ON IDLE

  • Video
  • The busy beneath your feet.

THAT'S OUR STORY AND
WE'RE STICKING TO IT


Chapter 17
A Place to Sit Down

Lives of the Gheorghenis by DG.

THINGS WE SAW



St Agnes, Medulin, Croatia
The church of St Agnes, by FWR.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
CELESTIAL LIGHT SHOW


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A416657

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more