Music from the French and Indian war, to the war of 1812

0 Conversations

In the early days of colonization the American citizens had to turn to music to incress their day. Sevral songs had difrent meanings and difrent reasons for being played.

I have many favorites, one of my favorite's is The Girl That I left Behind Me. This was a song that the army played all the time as they marched through forign lands and fought enimes, bringing glory to their homes, and famalies.

Another very popular song is Johny Has Gone For A Soldire. This was a song that to my knowladge, came about in the French and Indian wars. This song was usaly sung by women who were sad to see their men and sons going to war. It was sung all the way up untill the civil war.

Another song is one that the men at Valley Forge used to sing, was the Battle of the Kegs. This song was written during the seige of the Delaware river, the British flagships had been their, and the men on the ships were watching as kegs began flotting down the river. They knew somthing was up when the kegs were flotting up stream. The cannons roared from shore to shore, and the kegs filled with men and marines made their was tp shore.

Probably one of the most famous songs in American history has been Yankee Doodle Dandee. This is a song which I would like to clear up some myths about. Evrybody thinks the only lyrics are
"Yankee Doodle went to town a ridd'n on a poney
stuck a feather in his hat and called it macaroney
Yankee Doodle keep it up, Yankee Doodle dandee mind the music and the step and let the girls be handy."
These are only the verse lyrics. Their are many more lyrics and they tell the story of a young boy that goes to a training camp with his dad and meets Captain Washingotn.

One of the most missinderstood songs is The Star Spangled Banner. This song was written during the war of 1812 and was written by Fransis Scott Key. As the British fleet anchored off shore the American defenders of Boston gathered around the last best hope for victory. This was Fort McHenry. The Commander said "I intened to have a banner so large that the British will have no trouble seeing it." As the fleet began bombing the Fort Key watched from a prison ship, the night was so dark Key could only see the Fort from the flashes of the bombs and explosions overhead. Key could see the American storm flag, and the next morning the men raised the giant banner, and Key saw that the flag was still their! The song was written as "The Defense of Fort Mchenry." It was put to a old British drinking song, and history was made.

Another song is Johhny Horton's The Battle of New Orleans. This song tells the story of Major General Andrew Jackson's march down south. The General vowed "To drive these redcoat rascles to the sea or perish in the attempt." AS the Generel marched down south he gathered a fighting force of nearly 5,000 men to defend the city of New Orleans, a strong point. If the British could take New Orleans they could link up with their allies in Canada and then starngle the Americans. This was a negotiating ploy, the American and British had been discusing terms of peace in Gehnt Belgim. The British though if they won the battle they could force the Americans to swear aligance again. AS the British fleet arrived in New Orleans the people of the city began to panic! Jackson put the city on lock down and dug in around the city. The Armies of Grate Britten marched forward to the American line and the two armies began to fight! withen a few hours the British army was demolished! They returned to Britten, and the Americans wone the war of 1812. Horton's song is almost acurate.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A12578682

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more