Bear Watching in Hyder, Alaska

1 Conversation

Bear Watching in Hyder, Alaska

Hyder, Alaska.Hyder, Alaska.
Hyder, Alaska.Hyder, Alaska.

Leaving Alaska, we follow the Alcan Highway east for a few hundred miles to Watson Lake. Mrs. Phred has been suggesting travel south along the Cassiar Highway for something different on the way home. The Cassiar has been closed by a wash out for a couple of weeks, but we ask around and it is thought that they are now allowing one-way traffic at the washout 300 miles south. We drive the RV around the “road closed” barrier at Watson Lake and head south. There is very little traffic.

To reach Hyder, turn off the Cassiar Highway and go 35 miles west toward the sister towns of Stewart, British Columbia, and Hyder, Alaska. The port town of Stewart seems marginally more prosperous than Hyder. Stewart still has a grocery store open and a place to buy ice cream and rent DVDs. The Thing starring Kurt Russell was filmed here in 1982.

There are two good reasons to come here. The first is Bear Creek, where the American park rangers have created an unusual bear viewing area. The bears come here to catch salmon in July and August. The other reason is the long scenic drive up to Salmon Glacier.

In 1898, an American named Burgess swindled 65 people into landing here by telling them that it was a shortcut to the Klondike gold fields. In the morning he was gone. Only three of the 65 stayed here. One who stayed was 'Pap' Stewart who discovered the 'American Girl' gold mine.

VISA fraud prevention apparently doesn't like the geographic distribution of my ATM withdrawals. They have disabled my cash card again. My Canadian phone card doesn't recognize the VISA 800 numbers and it's the weekend. We're down to $50 cash and 5,000 miles from home. We use some cash to buy ice cream and rent The Thing for the RV DVD.

The next day, we make some shaky video of a mama bear and her three triplets catching salmon. The video ends when mama smells a big boar approaching and runs off with her cubs. One of the cubs gets separated and starts screaming for mama. The rangers block traffic for 30 minutes until the family is reunited. I threaded together a couple of the phone videos for H2G2 and dubbed in some Liberace (because I could).


The Phred Firecloud Report Archive

Phred Firecloud

18.05.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87984139

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more