Freebie Film Tip #28: Hemp for Victory

0 Conversations

Get out the popcorn. It's November.

Freebie Film Tip #28: Hemp for Victory

A Middle Eastern man, relaxing, smoking a hookah.

Hemp: it's an incredible useful plant, and has been grown by humans for 12,000 years. You can make lots of things from it. In early America, farmers in some states were even required by law to grow hemp, because the Navy needed the rope. During World War II, hemp growing was encouraged by the government, as today's film will show. In the 19th Century, most schoolbooks were printed on hemp paper, a practical and eco-friendly measure. But in 1970, hemp growing was outlawed. The subject became fraught, as they say. Which is why today's feature is amusing.

But first, let's hear from the Lawrence Welk Champagne Music Makers.

Today's Short Subject: No, it's not that film. You can find that one yourselves, if you haven't already seen it at the uni film club. This is a rarer gem: a duet of One Toke Over the Line sung on the Lawrence Welk Show in 1971.

A word of explanation for those of you who don't know about Lawrence Welk: think of the bandleader in your country who has a show with a large 'family' of performers specialising in down-home, family-friendly jolly-hockey-sticks sing-a-long stuff. That's Welk, a 'sweet band' leader from the 40s who adapted to television by inflicting upon the nation that staple of Lake Woebegone musicality, the Accordion. It's his fault I had to listen to so many horrible renditions of 'Lady of Spain' during my childhood. Many of my contemporaries struggled with this unwieldly instrument, just as German children had to play recorders. Fortunately, my folks had the good sense to purchase a piano.

Anyway, the Welk crew would never have been caught supporting the stoner culture. Obviously, they mistook the import of the words 'sweet Jesus' in the song, and decided it was a spiritual. The rest is musical history. Enjoy. And if that doesn't have you humming that tune all day…

An World War II poster depicting an old man 'digging for victory'.

Today's Feature Film: The government-issued Hemp for Victory contains useful tips for growing and harvesting your hemp. They didn't tell you how to do it in the basement. However, if you joined the war effort, you got this handy tax stamp, surely a valuable collector's item. Laws are changing again these days, much to the rejoicing of NORML and Cheech and Chong, no doubt. But this little bit of history is worth a muse or two.

Freebie Film Tips #3 Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87863962

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more