Freebie Film Tip #9: The Bells of Norwich

0 Conversations

Get out the popcorn. It's November.

Freebie Film Tip #9: The Bells of Norwich

Stained glass window in Grimsby Minster depicting the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist

Today, children, we are going to consider extreme spirituality. To do this, we need to go back to the European Middle Ages.

Today's Short Subject: Back in 1972, Franco Zeffirelli gave us a beautifully filmed version of the life of St Francis of Assisi. Watch this clip from Brother Sun, Sister Moon and ask yourself: how does a seeker reach this point in his or her personal journey? (Warning: some nudity is involved.) Why are people so shocked? (Hint: It isn't merely the nudity.)

Now we're ready to move forward a century or two.

Today's Feature: This isn't a film. It's a Youtube playlist about Julian of Norwich. It includes spoken-word excerpts from her writing, and songs about the remarkable English saint.

Julian – we don't know her birth name – spent the second half of her life walled up in the church of St Julian in Norwich. She had visions, about Life, the Universe, and Everything. The first vision came in 1373. These visions have had a profound effect on English thinking, especially poets like TS Eliot, who borrowed her saying that 'all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.'

Pretty cool stuff. I've got a Guide Entry pending about her, so you can read that if you want more background on Julian. I think she was worth knowing about – I'd definitely visit her if I had the tardis up and running. What do you think?

Love, like the yellow daffodil, is coming through the snow.

Love, like the yellow daffodil, is Lord of all I know…
Freebie Film Tips #3 Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87862800

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more