Freebie Film Tip #3: The Perils of Ghostwriting

1 Conversation

Freebie Film Tip #3: The Perils of Ghostwriting

A demon playing with letters in a word

We're familiar with the danger of ghostwriting political lives. Think of Robert Harris' fine novel, The Ghost, and the film Roman Polanski made of it. But spooky ghost writer stories go back pretty far. Here's one you might enjoy. It will take half an hour of your time.

The film is from the 1950s TV series Tales of Tomorrow, a surprisingly well-made collection of speculative stories. This episode, called Ghost Writer, stars Leslie Nielsen as a struggling fiction writer who meets up with a really unsavoury collaborator. His writing partner has a hidden agenda, but the money's awfully tempting…

Breaking update: archive.org appears to be undergoing server maintenance today. If you can't get the video to come up there, try it at this Youtube link.

If you enjoyed this tale, you might want to explore the idea of TV devils. Obviously, they've been around as long as TV itself. My personal favourite version of Old Scratch is the inimitable John Glover. Glover played the Prince of Darkness in a delightfully snarky way in the (alas) short-lived series Brimstone. Here's a short clip where he struts his stuff. I wish there were more of this series available: it was elegantly done. The premise was that 113 evil characters had escaped from Hell. To retrieve them, the Devil sent a New York cop – condemned to eternal damnation for killing his wife's rapist. The cop has a chance at earning redemption, but it won't be easy, and he has to live in a fleabag hotel on the West Coast. Unfortunately, the series lasted less than a season, largely because North American audiences prefer their supernatural entities to be cuddlier than this. Think Touched by an Angel or Highway to Heaven.

I hope you enjoy this devilish excursion.

A pink and gold dragon on an inkpot
2014 Freebie Film Tips Archive




Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87842703

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more