Mythology and Art: Pandora

1 Conversation

Our resident artist has a Christmas gift for us all.

Pandora

Pandora.

A quick, fun little picture, my take on the Pandora myth. Pandora was created as the first woman by the Greek Gods. They intended to punish mankind, after the Titan Prometheus disobeyed them (the gods, that is, not the humans) and taught them (the humans, not the gods) the gift of using fire. So the gods gave a jar to Pandora. Pandora was curious … and here I'm portraying her as being a bit of a headstrong type, her hair standing straight up out of intrinsic contrariness! So she opened the jar, and I'm picturing her as being delighted at the weird critters that poured forth from it! But it turned out they were plague demons that brought all manner of ills to humanity. But one thing remained in the jar – Hope!

In some ways Pandora is the Greek mythological equivalent of Eve in Christianity. She too was the first woman and brought evil into the world. But it's wrong to blame Pandora! She was not malicious, at worst a bit naïve. The Gods are the ones who put the evils in the jar. And they knew, Pandora being who she was, that the jar was never going to stay sealed!

But there's also some ambiguity to the mythology. There's at least some suggestion that the jar Pandora got contained gifts, not plagues. Her name means ‘The All-Gifted' or ‘The All-Giving'. But also … maybe much of what we consider to be curses may be blessings in disguise, and the things we consider plagues may not be bad in themselves, but merely seen that way because of our attitude to them, and I am giving a hint of that as well in this picture.

Cartoon Corner Archive

Willem

23.12.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87819222

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more