Freebie Film Tip #21: The Eugenics Wars, 1934

0 Conversations

Freebie Film Tip #21: The Eugenics Wars, 1934

We're not talking about Hitler, folks. We're talking about the US of A and its enlightened view of genetic issues when we watch Tomorrow's Children, directed by Crane 'Perils of Pauline' Wilbur (1934). We're not talking about Star Trek, either – so don't expect great production values.

Someone in agony with headache; gets relief when hole is drilled in skull!

It was called eugenics.
And an awful lot of people believed in it. See if you can figure out whose side the director is on. Is he saying that forced sterilisations are wrong? Or only that the judicial system is biased in favour of the rich?

Belief in this concept led to compulsory sterilisations all over the US in the 1920s and 1930s: one estimate is 65,000, in a total of 33 states (out of 48). They did this to people. Against their will. Legally.

The only actors you might recognise are Sterling Holloway (exhausted intern) and Sarah Padden. Holloway was a much-loved comic actor, and Sarah Padden, a well-known Broadway performer, later played Louweezie in the Snuffy Smith live-action films. The director himself is playing the priest. It's never a good sign when the director shows up, unless it's Sydney Lumet, Alfred Hitchcock, or M Night Shyamalan.

Warning: This film is full of prejudice, sordid subject matter, and bad acting. It's hard to give Academy-Award performances when you're embarrassing yourself with material that makes the angels blush.

Side note: Using Nietzsche as an argument against preventive eugenics. . . no, that's nasty, I'm ashamed of myself for thinking it, but I believe he did kiss a horse. . .

Another warning for the medically squeamish: The processes of vasectomy and tubal ligation are described in an unnecessarily breezy fashion. Doctors on h2g2 take note of the dramatised bedside manner. Do not do this, even if your patient is named Spike.

People who fuss about 'political correctness' should have to watch this movie. Now, can you see just how disgusting it is to call other humans 'feeble-minded', 'cripples', or 'congenital idiots', and put them in the 'psychopathic ward'?

Stop and reflect: if this sort of thing worked, there should be fewer people with physical and mental problems today. What do you think? Should we be grateful to these far-sighted social planners? Or should we want to go back in a time machine and give 'em hell?

The ending is totally bogus. Is this operation wrong because it's wrong, or because, sometimes, they get the 'wrong' person? My head hurts. My heart, too. This sort of film is called an 'exploitation' film. I certainly felt exploited.

The 'Caduceus' - two snakes wrapped around a staff with wings at the top, representing the medical profession.
Freebie Film Tips Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87778057

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more