Wines of Bordeaux

0 Conversations

In France wine production & naming is regulated and controlled by French Wine Law, these laws rigorously define wine production areas, Bordeaux is such an area.

History

Historically wine has been produced in Bordeaux since the Roman era. It has had a close association with England since 1152 when Eleanor of Aquitaine married Henry II, the area of Bordeaux being included in her dowry.

The English quickly gained a liking for the wines of Bordeaux referring to the red wines as Claret1, although there were ups & downs in the trade over the years due to the vagaries of war & politics the liking remained and when war & politics interfered with the legal supply much was smuggled, making Bordeaux a wealthy place.

In 1911, the borders of the Bordeaux wine region were fixed. Today Bordeaux produces over 25% of French quality wines.

Grape Varieties

White

Sauvignon Blanc

Twenty-five percent of all white grape produced in Bordeaux are of the Sauvignon Blanc variety, it produces a wine of great fineness but as a low yield.

Semillon

Fifty percent of all white grape produced in Bordeaux are of the Semillon variety, it is especially popular in the Sauternes area.

Muscadelle

In general this variety produces a wine of poor quality and tends to be used in blends.

Red

Cabernet Sauvignon

Thus grape produces a top flight wine with high tannin content, it is extremely popular in the Medoc area. The tannin leaves a dry taste in the mouth and causes the sharp pungent flavour of young red wines from Bordeaux, with time there develops a balance between the tannin and other constituents of the wine.

Cabernet Franc

This is a low volume producer but when blended can add fineness to a wine.

Merlot

This is a variety that is easy to produce and that ripens early but is liable to rot in bad years. Merlot is extremely popular in the St. Emilion area of Bordeaux.

Geography

Bordeaux is in the Department of the Gironde and the city of Bordeaux lies on latitude 45°N, on the River Garonne just before it joins the River Dordogne.

Viticulture

No real precautions against frost are taken, but in the winter, ploughing the soil up around the roots protects them. The method of pruning normally used is either Guyot Simple2 or Double3. Spraying of the vines to counteract rot continues until a month before picking and sulphur is used to dust the vines from July onwards in an effort to prevent mildew.

Soil & Climate

Most of Bordeaux is flat and has a variety of soil types, Medoc and northern parts of Graves has a soil that consist of gravel over clay or sand, theses areas are renowned for there red wines, southern Graves has a soil that consist of chalky clay mixed with pebbles and is renowned for its white wines. From the Garonne to the Dordogne there is sandstone interspersed with clay and to the north & northwest of the Dordogne is mainly limestone with clay.

In winter temperatures average around 6ºC (41ºF), the spring is warm and the summers long & hot with warm autumns.

Vinification

Dry White Wines

Sweet White Wines

Red Wines

1From 'clairet' or clear wine. 2a single cane with a single spur.3two canes and spurs.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A639272

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more