An African Adventure: De Vries Light Horse Part 4

0 Conversations

This is the first time that the Knolly Estate has allowed the great man's memoirs to be published. What follows is the sixteenth chapter of 'The African Adventure'.

DeVries Light Horse Part 4

'It's true Monty, I did go off to college. Four years in total at Fenside College of Technical Stuff, primarily to concentrate on developing my Tool. Knolly did arrange for me to have a years sabbatical though.'

Monty smiled as if remembering Berties' calculating machine.

'That's right and a fine time we had in America too.' I interjected.

'America, eh, and what would a pen pushing Civil Servant be doing there? grinned Monty.

'Hah, not just any Civil Servant. With my knowledge of meteorology I found myself working with Navel Intelligence and my trip to America was to meet with one Brigadier General Adolphus Washington Greely who, at the time, commanded the most northerly base in the United States. I took Bertie along as I felt that his Tool would prove useful. Unfortunately, Greely had to pull back from his post due to lack of supplies. Bertie and I ended up as part of the rescue team and not all of us made it back.'

'Was damned cold too at Cape Sabine' added Bertie. 'All right for the likes of you sunning yourself at that time in Egypt and Sudan.'

Monty smiled and chuckled. 'Did you see anything else of America while you were there. I always fancied myself in the Wild West - I mean you see all those stories in the papers.'

'Certainly did, in fact we travelled the continent a fair bit with Buffalo Bills Wild West Show and Knolly even took it upon himself to invite him and his show over to England.'

I sat back in my chair waiting for the main course to arrive whilst marvelling at the way Bertie was able to spin a story for an attentive audience. Thankfully he managed to steer clear of certain European events between leaving school and now as I didn't really fancy being quizzed on the part we'd played during Bismarck's conference of 1884, nor our first encounter with the Count and Countess Von Kronenburg and I was certain that Bertie wouldn't want to go into great detail about his experiences.

'But what about this Civil Service thing, Knolly? I always had you marked as officer material and what ever happened to your money making plans with our old PE teacher Sergeant O'Hollerer? Knolly, you were his agent weren't you? I thought you'd struck gold there with 'The Gentleman Walloper'?'

'I sold his contract, for a tidy sum to a travelling fair; you know the 'takes on all comers' sort of thing. I believe he's retired now and running his own gymnasium down near the old Millwall docks.' I replied.

'Millwall, of course. What about the football? How's the old team been doing, it's been ages since I've seen them play... no, no, save it till we meet up with Stumpy. He'll want to hear it from your own lips'.

He turned to his junior officers 'Royal Marine Colour Sergeant O'Hollerer gave be the best advice I ever had before joining the army. He told me that if any of your mates steal something of yours make sure you steal something back and never volunteer for anything... ha, ha, ha.'

'Excuse me, sir, what about the balloon?' asked one of the others who'd been wriggling in his seat desperate to ask a question.

'Well, as we explained to your Captain earlier today, we were looking to cross the African continent by balloon as a taster for trying to travel around the world. Dangerous yes I know, but this is the age of adventure.' expounded Bertie.

'Hear, hear!' clapped Monty and called for a further bottle of wine.

Thus the conversation continued, the food was excellent once more and the wine kept on flowing. Bertie and I had no problem with this but it was certainly having its effect on Monty and the others so that by the time we started on the last verse of 'Me little sausage sandwich' only we two seemed to have lasted the course.

'Damn just when I was warming up and we still didn't find why Big Edward's nicknamed 'the Big White Stick'!' exclaimed a very sober Bertie.

'Never mind, there's always tomorrow. After all, you did most of the talking.' I said poking Bertie in the ribs.

'That's supposed to make me feel better is it?'

'Well, you could always try on one of those garments of Felicitys'!' I said ducking a flying fist. 'Come on lets find our tent. We're off tomorrow, although somehow I doubt if it will be the early start Monty predicted.' And off we went into the darkness singing as we went.

Despite the fact that our tent was a fair distance away from that of the Colonel, in the still night air his rantings carried quite a distance and although Bertie and I had consumed our fair share of alcohol this was not the cause of our restless sleep. I can only assume that we eventually fell asleep in the early hours of the morning only to be greeted by the rather rude awakening of the camp being struck around us.

I quickly shoved Bertie out of his bed, grabbed some blankets and tumbled the lot out of the doorway before our tent was collapsed about our ears.

'Good morning to you sirs!' grinned Sergeant Ireland looking down at us with hands on hips. 'The Captain is indisposed, but the Colonel sends his greetings. We move out in half an hour.' With that he strode off to bellow at some troopers further down the line of tents.

Bertie peered at me through slitty eyes. 'What time is it Knolly?'

'No idea, my watch is under all that canvas somewhere.'

'Urgh... I suppose that red streak in the sky then is the sun coming up?'

I nodded. 'Well, yes. Come on, lets get cleaned up and dressed, stow our gear on the wagon with the balloon and then see what sort of state Monty's in.'

Bertie grinned a grin that would shame a crocodile 'Oh yes... Lets.'

Cold water first thing in the morning does wonders to invigorate, but as Bertie pointed out a warm soak with someone to wash ones back wouldn't go amiss. Sometimes there is just no pleasing some people.

The camp was quickly becoming just another area of African bush. Tents were being stowed on wagons in a orderly fashion under the watchful eyes of Ireland and the Colonel was trotting up and down on horseback chivvying the men as he went. It looked as if breakfast was now out of the question, but then neither of us felt like eating.

We discovered Monty making his way back from the latrines leaning heavily on Trooper Jones. The pale greenness of his face was not one that suited him.

'Morning Jones, Monty, how are you feeling?' I called out as we approached.

Monty tried to wave, but the futility of the gesture got the better of him and he sat down heavily.

'I feel awful' he said as we drew closer. 'Never again will I mix food and drink and who ordered this Godawful early start?'

'I think you can lay the blame on Sergeant Ireland acting on the Colonel's orders.' answered Bertie.

'Goddamn sadist! But how come the pair of you are all jollity and smiles, eh?... Ow my head.'

'Um... that's because you drank more than we did, old chap, and you've never been able to hold it.' I answered.

At this Monty rose up, roared as if to charge and headed back to the latrines. Jones shrugged his shoulders.

'Always the same with the Captain. Sirs, you understand. If you'd like to wait whilst I see to him, I'll make sure you have a pair of horses.'

'No, it's fine Jones. We'll be riding with the wagon our gears stowed on. But how will Monty be travelling?' I asked.

'Oh, I'll fix him some strong tea and he'll be on horseback before you know it!' replied Jones.

I found this difficult to believe, never having much truck with miracle hangover cures, but we sent Jones after his Captain and made our way back to our wagon. By the time we reached it the site was clear, those troopers lucky enough to have horses were mounted and the wagons all hitched to their oxen. As we climbed aboard ours next to our native driver a horse drew up alongside scattering clouds of dust as it came to a halt.

'You'll be all right with the wagons, then?' asked Monty.

I looked across at him astounded at the change that had come over him and made a mental note to ask Jones for his tea recipe.

'Yes, we'll be fine, wont we Bertie?'

Bertie looked up from inside the balloon's basket.

'Fine Knolly, just fine. Do you think there'll be anything to shoot at along the way?' he asked brandishing his rifle.

Monty smiled 'I doubt it. The Colonel will probably go ahead with his chosen few and clear the way. He don't like to wait for the baggage, so he'll be in the Cape long before us.'

Another horse galloped up. It was Ireland.

'Colonels' compliments Sir, requests you join him NOW!'

Monty nodded 'Right ho Sergeant. I'll see you two in a couple of days then. Come on Jones.' Off he went to the front of the column. A cry went up and we were off.

Monty was right. Those Light Horse that were mounted soon left the wagons far behind, but we had enough armed men with us in other wagons so there was nothing to fear on that front. The journey to the Cape was very pleasant and ,as we journeyed further South, the vegetation got lusher and greener.

Bertie was able to get some shooting in to supplement the rations we'd been left and I was able to brush up on my Xhosa with our driver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Great Knolly Archive

The Shepherd and
huzzah4knolly

04.08.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A4646694

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more