The Shocking History Of Phosphorous

1 Conversation

Book Review: (part of the Popular Science Book Project - A4166336)

The Shocking History Of Phosphorous - John Emsley
(A biography of the devil's element)

One of the first elements to be isolated by late alchemists/early chemists, phosphorus has a long history of use and misuse, which this book comprehensively addresses.

Starting with the likely discovery of elemental phosphorus in Hamburg in 1669 (ironic, given the partial destruction of that same city centuries later in a phosphorus-fuelled firestorm), the coverage of the improvements in efficiency of manufacture leads on to the initial curiosity value of the element, and its rather misguided use as a medicine.

Moving on to the eventual widespread use in making matches (including the famous 'Lucifers' referenced slightly anachronistically in the WWI song "Pack up your troubles..."), coverage is given to its association with one of the first recognised industrial diseases ('phossy jaw'), and the development of organised labour in the match-maker's strike organised by Annie Besant.

The information on military uses, in smokescreens, incendiary bullets and bombs is covered, leading to the use of organic phosphorus compounds as nerve agents, insecticides and herbicides, and an explanation of organophosphorus toxicity

Various potted histories of murders committed using phosphorous as a poison (usually obtained from rat poison) are followed by a section on industrial accidents, with descriptions of various serious fires, and a particularly serious case of marine poisoning which helped show just how toxic elemental phosphorus is to sea-life.

The book ends with a look at biological processes depending on phosphorus, and with a final chapter charting the use of phosphorus compounds in consumer products such as detergents and food additives, and the need for control over release into the wider environment.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A4267541

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more