The Nature Of Horses

0 Conversations

Book Review: (part of the Popular Science Book Project - A4166336)

Stephen Budiansky - The Nature Of Horses (their evolution, intelligence and behaviour)

Beginning with an investigation of the ancestry of the horse, and how close it came to extinction, this excellent study moves through social behaviour and domestication to the perceptual systems, communication and intelligence.
An examination of mechanical design, gait and physiological limits follows, and the book ends with a short chapter on breeding and genes.

Comparing the efficiency of the horse's digestive system with other similar sized animals, it is shown how the horse's arrangement is less efficient than a ruminant like a cow, but capable of processing poorer-quality vegetable matter, and so allowing horses to exist in more marginal habitats.
Despite this, the horse, whose ancestors had originated in North America before spreading to Europe and Asia, had become extinct in its continent of origin, and was possibly quite limited in range (and definitely on the human menu) before eventually adopting a mutually beneficial relationship with humans, and arriving at its current position of relative security.

The nature of its sense organs, the kind of habitat it evolved to live in, and its status as a herbivore and prey animal are considered in investigations of equine communication and social behaviour, as well as experiments into the intelligence and trainability of the horse.

As a fascinating insight into the nature of a large, and often much loved, domestic animal, this book will be of interest to many kinds of reader. The writer, a professional science journalist, manages to go into sufficient depth to inform and entertain people with a scientific interest in biology, but without losing readers with a more general interest in horses.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A4259496

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more