A Conversation for Luck - an Overview of a Very Human Concept

The Lucky Country?

Post 1

silverygibbon

"...has been, somewhat ironically, referred to as the 'Lucky Country'"
Why ironically?

Beautiful beaches, excellent lifestyle, great weather and wonderful people. What's not to like?

Sure our biggest industries are sheep and digging holes in the ground, and the only reason the local beach doesn't have sharks is 'cos the crocs ate 'em, but that just helps us work up an appetite for beer (the best beer in the world, of course)and barbecues.

Oh, and here in Queensland the whole "shrimp on the barbie" thing is rubbish - why would you ruin the world's freshest King Prawns by cooking 'em?

Oh, hang on....wait. Wait.
No! Stone the crows, it's a terrible place. You wouldn't like it at all.
(Quick Bruce, hide the grog. Shove the steak back in the esky.)
Stay away. You'll thank us. Hot, horrible and no snow - that's us. Just desert and Aussie Rules football as far as the eye can see. You'd hate it.
(Bloody 'ell, do you reckon I talked my way outta that Bruce? Strewth; I mean we're hospitable and all that, but there's only so many people will fit in the pool...)


The Lucky Country?

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

It's ironic because the title was given to Australia by the journalist and historian Donald Horne in his book of that title published in 1964: 'Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second-rate people who share its luck'


The Lucky Country?

Post 3

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

So Gnomon still knows everything. How does he do it?!

TRiG.smiley - biggrin


The Lucky Country?

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Actually, I was quoting Icy North, who said that in the Peer Review conversation for this Entry.


The Lucky Country?

Post 5

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office



Don't want to lose the mystique!

Anyway, you still knew it, however it got lodged in your brain!

TRiG.smiley - goodluck


The Lucky Country?

Post 6

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

smiley - shhh



smiley - grr


The Lucky Country?

Post 7

silverygibbon

'Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second-rate people who share its luck'.

Hmmm. Given some of our recent *leaders* - George Dubleya's ventriloquists dummy (aka John Howard) for one - I'd have to say that we're most fortunate that the regular Aussie Battler (TM) can still call it "The Lucky Country".
I reckon Professor Horne is well on the money.

Thanks by the way, you led me to his work and while not finished yet I'm finding it very insightful.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Luck - an Overview of a Very Human Concept

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more