Celebs/News

0 Conversations

BACK

News/Celebs

The radio 1 presenter John Peel has passed away


It has been confirmed that John died from a heart attack last night - he leaves behind his wife Sheila and four children.

The veteran broadcaster had worked for Radio 1 since its launch in 1967.


Here's what some people who knew John said:


Radio 1 Controller Andy Parfitt said:



"John Peel was a broadcasting legend. I am deeply saddened by his death as are all who work at Radio 1."



"John's influence has towered over the development of popular music for nearly four decades and his contribution to modern music and music culture is immeasurable."




"Hopeful bands all over the world sent their demo tapes to John knowing that he really cared. His commitment and passion for new music only grew stronger over the years."




"In fact, when I last saw him he was engaged in a lively debate with his fellow DJs over the state of new music today. He will be hugely missed."



BBC Director of Radio + Music Jenny Abramsky added:


"John Peel was a unique broadcaster whose influence on Radio 1 could be felt from its very first days. He nurtured musicians and listeners alike introducing them to new sounds."




"His open minded approach to music was mirrored by his equally generous approach to his audience when he went to Radio 4 to present Home Truths."






"He had a remarkable rapport with all his listeners. Everyone at BBC Radio is devasted by the news. John is simply irreplaceable. Our hearts go out to Sheila and his children."


To add your own tribute to John click here

Anti-smoking ban isn't working


Attempts to try and stop teenagers smoking aren't working according to a study in Leeds. They surveyed kids in 20 schools over four years and found that even if they'd been given anti-smoking advice when they started secondary school they still took the habit up.

Iraq's hostage


The wife of Ken Bigley, the engineer being held in Iraq, is pleading with his captors to spare his life. The gang holding him want women prisoners to be freed from jail in the country. But, the Iraqi government say they won't negiotiate.

Bird Flu


*Note to ZSF* write your news here!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3039275

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more