Princess Bride Review

1 Conversation

"Buttercup was raised on a small farm in the country of Florin. Her favourite pastimes were riding her horse and tormenting the farm boy that worked there. His name was Westley. But she never called him that..."

The Princess Bride is quite possibly the best movie ever made. It's classified as a Comedy/Fairy-tale, but it has it all. It has a narrator, a good guy, a girl, kidnappers, bad guys, swordfighting, a giant, a Spaniard, adventure, revenge, a genius, an albino, a miracle-worker, eels, rodents of unusual size, and of course, as all fairy-tales should... a happy ending.

This movie is one of Rob Reiner’s best. It's very clever and has a lot of great lines and screwy plot twists (the Life Sucking Machine?). It takes a completely unexpected tack for such a fairy tale setting: it makes fun of EVERYTHING. At the same time, as well as laughing at the funny scenes you do come to care about stuff like whether Inigo gets his revenge, whether that obnoxious prince is gonna get bitch-slapped and whether Buttercup smartens up. Miracle Max is hilarious and Cary Elwes is delightfully campy as our hero Westley. Finally we cannot forget the Andre the Giant and his cohorts. They get to utter some of the greatest lines of the movie.

Like many cult films, Princess Bride has its own drinking game. The rules are very simple. Drink when a catch phrase is mentioned. For example, the line “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” Other memorable lines from the movie are listed at www.h2g2.com/P1811351
A fellow Princess Bride fan once told me that there are two types of people in this world:those who like "The Princess Bride", and those who haven't seen it. I think that about sums up everything.

The target audience:
Are you alive? Good. Then you qualify.
People who dig really big rats.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A181333

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more