A Conversation for Guy Fawkes and Bonfire Night

the gunpowder plot

Post 1

Researcher 196047

hi , does any one now who was involved in "the gunpowder plot".?


the gunpowder plot

Post 2

bulmer

Hi I know this is late but anyway I think that there were about 12 or so I only remember Robert Catesby, Thomas Wintour, Thomas Percy, John Wright and of course Guy Fawkes! I think some were more involved than others as well.


the gunpowder plot

Post 3

geezerguyfawkes

One thing to remember when we remember is that the Gunpowder plot was a part of what is known as the Counter Reformation.

The Counter Reformation was the reaction of the Catholic Church lead by the Pope to the reformation. The church had lost control of important countries of europe. Not just Britain-many others. The pope sent out undercover armies such as the Jesuits to destabalize protestant countries and encouraged catholic countries such as spain to go to war against protestant countries- all to regain former power and political control.

The Jesuits of england at the time lead by Father Garnet new most of the details of the plot. Their choice was clear. In order to save life and limb and protect the nation they could turn in the plotters-they did not.

Garnet instead of contacting the government and putting a stop to it contacted the pope who refused to act.

Although the war with Spain was recently concluded the plotters had contacted the spanish government for assistance. Spain also knew of the plot to a certain degree and after making peace with england could have also turned in the plotters.

So.....One must consider the Pope and his representatives to be active players who acould have made a difference. Additionally the representatives of the pope harbored the jesuits as well as the plotters. Although the overwealming number of English catholics approached by the rebellion in the Midlands did not side with the plotters many members of the catholic community of the time did.
So we have to count them all in too!

For more reading on the subject contact:

http://www.bcpl.net/~cbladey/guy/html/mainz.html

CBsmiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more