A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

What's 'appening 'ere then?

Post 1

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Last announcement I can see is from 2018-05-13 smiley - erm

Are there still smiley - hamstersmiley - hamster w*rking in this place? smiley - erm

If so, could we please get news about what's going on?

smiley - love & smiley - peacesign

Post 2

Icy North

It's retro-style news, also known as "olds"

Post 3

h2g2 Guide Editors

Yes, one 2018 announcement is showing as last posted 9 hours ago, so it is just that it was started that year.

However, the other announcements are showing last posted in 2021 at the latest...

The h2g2 Guide Editors have been advised that h2g2 was caught up in a cyber incident that affected many websites. As a result, we lost 2 years of content (and we are thankful we didn't lose 24 years of content). If any missing data happens to be recovered, it can be restored as new content rather than overwriting anything else. Therefore, we have been given the go-ahead to create new Entries, etc.

We took a long lunch break to recover from the shock of the incident, but we have now started the process of reinstating Edited Entries from that period as far as we can.

Hope this helps - SashaQ

Post 4

smiley - ta SashaQ

Yes it helps. It helps me not to panic. I was afraid all of h2g2 was slowly crumbling away and would soon be overgrown and unseen ruins like those long forgotten pyramids in the Amazon rain forests smiley - smiley

Best of smiley - goodluck to you and whoever else keeps the smiley - cogs running smiley - ok

Post 5

Bald Bloke

smiley - cheers

Post 6

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"Yes, one 2018 announcement is showing as last posted 9 hours ago"

So smiley - cool "my old stuff" will look like new stuff smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeye

IE: maybe new "followers" smiley - doh (modestsmiley - biggrin)

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I hope at least some of the lost material is found. I think I had at least one guide entry that was lost, and I do *not* want to have to go through the whole process again. Once was more than enough. smiley - sadface

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks for that Sasha. I was unsure whether to submit my entries again or wait for them to magically re-appear.

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi paulh. Do you remember who the sub-editor was for the entry of yours that has been lost? Some of the subs keep copies offline of everything they edit, so they will have a copy of it.

Post 10

I was looking for the recipe for Garden salad sandwiches that was published in the H2G2 Post, and it wasn't there. It's not technically an edited guide entry, but I miss it. A lot of nice stuff I had published in the Post has vanished, including some great photos.smiley - sadface

There may have been one edited guide entry as well, but I can't remember what it was.

Post 11

SashaQ - happysad

The Post articles do still exist, as they were saved into separate archives - Dmitri has been doing things like making slideshows of photos that were submitted in the missing period smiley - biggrin

I was the Sub-editor for your Edited Entries, Paulh. I am sad to report I assumed the h2g2 system was saving copies of my work, so I didn't take my own copies. That means Deutschlandlied is lost (along with around 20 of my own Entries smiley - blue). However, L'Homme Armé can be reinstated. Common Juniper and Dwarf Alberta Spruce have already been restored smiley - ok

Post 12

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"I was unsure whether to submit my entries again"

I'll wait until "someone" informs me that my past stuff can't be "retrieved" etcsmiley - smiley

I've no intention of "clogging" up emails etc to the POSTsmiley - smiley

Post 13

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - ok Much appreciated, Prof!

Post 14

Olde saying - Your welcomesmiley - smileyand no worries (no worries ? I think is an Australian usage ?) adapted by "us" ?

Post 15

I have the text for Deutschelandlied as of 6-21-2021

Post 16

Bluebottle

In that case I'd recommend putting it back in <./>peerreview</.>

<BB<

Post 17

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

Post 18

I probably will, though my version is not the final one, so people will have to help remember what it ended up looking like

Post 19

You can call me TC

All went dead for two days again there. I doubt we'll get any announcement/explanation from anyone.

Post 20

I know Sasha has alerted the techs and they seem to have solved at least a bit of it, though obviously not all

I had to sign in right now even though I never sign out but that's not unusual in these circumstances (whatever they are)

I fear for the future of h2g2. I already feared for the bits of the past we have lost along the way. Don't think we'll see all of it ever again smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more