A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Announcement 2019-04-14: Pliny

Post 21

Cheerful Dragon

I appreciate the hard work the techy people are putting in to fix this problem and wish them luck in getting a speedy solution. However, I wouldn't have found out about the issue with Pliny if I hadn't sent a message via Facebook asking for help. Maybe I was informed via email, but the email address associated with my profile was out of date (my fault, I've just updated it).

Are Pliny users being informed about the issue? If so, how is it being done? An announcement like this is pointless if you can't read it. I don't use social media, as a rule, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Going to Facebook was an act of desperation.

Post 22

Recumbentman

"Going to Facebook was an act of desperation."

For all of us.

Post 23

Cheerful Dragon

Three weeks with no news on Pliny. Can it be fixed, or is it beyond repair? Has the hissy fit turned into a terminal nervous breakdown?

Post 24

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - laugh Pliny smiley - rofl

Post 25

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

When are TPTB going to admit Pliny is crap and make Brunel the go to theme

Post 26

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeyeT May out, pliny next smiley - whistle Brunel next leadersmiley - biggrin

Post 27

paulh. Antisocial distancing works a well as the Social kind

To be honest, I have never used Pliny (or Theresa May, for that matter smiley - winkeye), so I'm not in the best position to evaluate. I suppose that a skin with the best features of both could be tolerable, but how would you program it? And could it be done within our budget?

Post 28

Gnomon - time to move on

Unfortunately:

- Brunel doesn't have the modern look needed to attract modern writers. - Pliny doesn't work. Even if the current problem could be fixed, it is still was too full of bugs to be be used by writers
- We haven't got a budget.

So that's the end of Douglas Adams's Guide, unless someone can come up with something radical and new.

Post 29

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

Brunel is the best..... just don't do anything with anything

Post 30

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"Brunel doesn't have the modern look needed to attract modern writers"

smiley - smileylooks aren't everything, look how many use it now, it's who writes in these "pages" who count and "new" folk will just have to adapt smiley - winkeyesmiley - laughor leave smiley - whistle

But many will stay! because hootoo is great!

Post 31

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

"Brunel doesn't have the modern look needed to attract modern writers"

Has anyone asked them, Brunel was the Go To page when I signed up 20 years ago and it never stopped me writing

Post 32

Icy North

Maybe we should all be making documentaries about ourselves while the Guide Editor takes a long bath.

Post 33

In a way, we *are* a documentary. This is sort of a come as you are party. smiley - smiley

Post 34

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Sorry, but Gnomon is absolutely right about the looks of the Ripley skins. I already explained this earlier in this thread.

Post 35

(with no disrespect to anyone as always)

smiley - winkeyemy brunel isn't green and "dated", it's purplesmiley - biggrinand smiley - coolsmiley - winkeye

Post 36

Today is today. Tomorrow is tomorrow. We have Hootoo now. Internet searchers don't march in lockstep. If we have what they want, chances are they will accept it.

I'd like to see a plan going forward, that's all. If someone is currently preparing one, all I say is take your time and get it right so it's a good. one. smiley - smiley

Post 37

Cheerful Dragon

How do you get Brunel to be purple?

Post 38

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Many moons ago, someone had tweaks that would allow you to set colours for top and side banner. Gnomon might recall, part of personal page coding (in GuideML I think).

Post 39

#9966FF

I think that's the one I use smiley - biggrin

Post 40

skip the guide bit smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more