A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

2017-11-15 Announcement: Visitor statistics

Post 141

Gnomon - time to move on

Paul, the Captcha is to stop the bots from logging in and posting on the site. We don't want them spamming the site with ads.

We've no problem with the bots reading the pages of the site, though. Indexing bots (known as spiders) crawl the web and index what they find. When someone searches for a word on Google, it already knows the word is on our site.

Post 142

bobstafford

Interisting informationsmiley - smiley

Post 143

Bluebottle - Do They Know it's Towel Day at All?

That was me! I read 'Green Eggs and Ham', I did.smiley - book

<BB<

Post 144

h2g2 Guide Editors

Yay! Any particular reason, or was it just hundreds of minds with a single thought? smiley - bigeyes

Post 145

I was writing about Dr Seuss' 'The Lorax', and one thing led to another – well, it led to 'Green smiley - friedegg and Ham'

Don't know about anyone else, mind.

<BB<

Post 146

paulh, not fond of Lord Mudpants

smiley - smiley

Brave new world

Post 147

h2g2 Guide Editors

Greetings Stats Fans - here's the report for March

Google Analytics is looking good and green again. The number of unique users was 108,000 compared to 101,000 in the previous period. The number of Page Views is up to 445,000 compared to 436,000 in the previous period.

Traffic via social media increased. TripAdvisor linked to Hadrian's Wall and the Isle of Wight's Literary Connections - very cultured.

Aside from the usual suspect Entries, Mehran Karimi Nasseri - In Transit, Danny Boy and Mathematical Games are still popular. The Radio Show effect is still strong - The Music of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was viewed 800 times compared to 250 times last month.

Post 148

Dmitri Gheorgheni

smiley - applause

Post 149

Perhaps our entry on Tom Lehrer will see an uptick in April? smiley - smiley

Post 150

bobstafford

TripAdvisor linked to Hadrian's Wall and the Isle of Wight's Literary Connections.
How dose that work then?

Post 151

I must admit that I'm intrigued to see the pages linked from too. (Both Bobstafford and I have written entries on Hadrian's Wall).

<BB<

Post 152

You can call me TC

With hammer and chisel?

Post 153

Icy North

smiley - laugh

Post 154

h2g2 Guide Editors

smiley - laughsmiley - ok

I see it was this Entry A87726955 and it was linked to in a TripAdvisor review of Hadrian's Wall smiley - ok

Post 155

Just another brick in the wall. smiley - winkeye

Post 156

h2g2 Guide Editors

Greetings stats fans! Here's the report for April.

After the surge in March following the Radio Show the number of users in April is down to 82,000. The number of page views is also down, to 358,000.

The usual suspect Entries are still popular - Applications of Enzymes, Name Jokes, How to Bake a Cake with a Silicone Mould, etc.

Traffic Lights and Centaurs had another resurgence. Newly popular are Regulating Blood pH, Billy Joel's 'We didn't start the Fire', Larry Grayson, Potato Crisps, and Theories of Human Motivation!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more