A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

2017-11-15 Announcement: Visitor statistics

Post 121

Dmitri Gheorgheni

Okay, Sasha, you asked for it...

>>a blues song inspired by Purcell with phonetic alphabet terms plus Galileo and the (synoptic) Gospels...<<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZjqqo7ezk

smiley - evilgrinsmiley - run

Post 122

minorvogonpoet

Wow!smiley - biggrin

Post 123

SashaQ - happysad

Hahaha! Brilliant! Thank you very much smiley - biggrin

I enjoyed Purcell by the Galileo Project, but it couldn't compete with The Phonetic, Synoptic, Galilean Blues smiley - laughsmiley - ok

h2g2 rulez indeed! smiley - biggrin

Post 124

paulh, not fond of Lord Mudpants

It's gotten 20 views so far. Let's keep clicking on it to get the number higher. smiley - evilgrin

Post 125

Okay, I've got it up to 25 views now. smiley - smiley

Post 126

Recumbentman

Netsploitation.

Post 127

Ya gotta love it. 25 hits isn't much compared to the 2.7 million that Peter Hollens' "Loch Lomond" has gotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0KQLJwMDzc

Post 128

Icy North

The last time I went busking I got more hits than when I subsequently uploaded it to Youtube.

Post 129

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Topic drift again..

Post 130

Icy North

smiley - sorry

Post 131

If we talk about Youtube hits, is that close enough to the topic to not be drift? I'd like to stay sort of close to the topic. smiley - blush

Post 132

Dmitri Gheorgheni

I defer to Sasha on that. smiley - laugh

But statistics-wise, I'd like to point out that the new BBC radio series has been good for us - 70 new people followed us on Twitter yesterday. Hopefully, some of them will drop by and say hi. smiley - smiley

Post 133

I hope some of them will stay with us long enough to chat with us nice people, so when they find out how hard it is write guide entries with Pliny, they will know we can help them. smiley - grovel

Post 134

SashaQ - happysad

OK DG smiley - laugh Yeah, Youtube hits do count as stats, but they are more tangential to h2g2.com so...

A better use of your time to boost the stats for us would be for you to click on and read <./>thepost</.> and the Entries on the Front Page http://www.h2g2.comsmiley - ok

The new BBC Radio Series has been good for us indeed - we've picked up some more followers on Facebook, too. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Entry generally gets a steady stream of traffic, but it has been viewed 1,100% more often this week than last week!

Post 135

Dmitri Gheorgheni

smiley - applause Good news!

Post 136

Icy North

I love the hyperbole when people quote percentages in stats.

'1100% more views' actually means 'twelve times more'.

eg: Last week 5 views, This week 60 views, 100*(60-5)/5 = 1100% more

Post 137

Math makes my smiley - headhurts

Post 138

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I have a question about the statistics: how do you distinguish between genuine visitors and bots? I have a blog on Blogspot, for which Google provides some rudimentary statistics. Every time I post something, I get about 20 hits within seconds. Seconds! I get half-a-dozen every time I post a link to it anywhere, again within an improbably short space of time. These are clearly not real people eagerly pouncing on anything new, even if it is just a link, who get bored within minutes and never come back.

Post 139

Good question. I will defer to those who have good answers. Just one point, though: If Google is using Captcha or equivalent systems to keep bots out, would be worrisome if a lo of them are still getting in? smiley - huh

Post 140

h2g2 Guide Editors

Yeah, massive percentages can come across as hyperbole, but that's the way Google Analytics gives us the information - it does make the trending items easy to spot! We will say that the Hitchhiker's Entry gets rather more than 5 hits a week on an average day, though (around 100 a month), so 12 times more views in a week made a difference smiley - ok

We don't see the phenomenon you mention, Just Bob - our Analytics seems to filter out inhumanly fast responses, so user counts include interactions that last for at least a second Not to mention that our followers on Social Media are definitely human as we weed out the mermaids A87902184

Mid Month Stats Report

The Hitchhiker's Radio Show Effect continues:

Number of unique users up to 108,000 compared to 94,000 in the previous period.
Number of page views up to 443,000 compared to 413,000 in the previous period
People staying for 1.5 minutes on average.

The Entries about Douglas Adams and Hitchhiker's Guide are still seeing increased interest and the usual suspect Entries are still doing well. Newly popular ones include Mehran Karimi Nasseri - In Transit, Green Eggs and Ham - the Book, Danny Boy, Mathematical Games and Elmer McCurdy.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more