A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Friday 12th April - Announcing: Birthday Party Preparations

Post 1

h2g2 Communications

As some of you will know, Sunday 28th April, 2013 will be h2g2’s 14th birthday. It’s a milestone that very few websites have reached, so we’re left with no other option than to celebrate.

There will be celebrations across the site, but we’re taking the party far and wide across the social networks in order to get a bit of attention for our stroppy teenager of a website. But to do that, we need your help coming up with some killer shareable content.

The idea is to share our “Top 14” lists (it’s like a top ten, but bigger) to really show off what we’ve done here. But we need your ideas for things to be included in the lists below.

We want your votes for the top 14...

- Researchers’ favourite entries
- Weirdest entries
- Upcoming entries (best of Peer review)
- Interesting user spaces
- Quotes of the day
- Long running threads - Editors’ choice (not just the longest, but also readable and interesting...)
- Most useful conversations in Ask
- Photos from meets

If you’ve a contribution to one of the lists above, let us know in the attached thread.

Then when the 28th rolls around and these articles hit the social networks, share as if your life depended on it:

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/h2g2_Guide
Join the party on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/532880070095758/532935403423558/
Add us to your Google+ Circles: https://plus.google.com/111101152609868556485/posts

Mr603 - Comms Volunteer Bod

Post 2

Peanut

Crikey *gets thinking cap on*

Post 3

Peanut

Two spaces spring to mind
Dmitri
Lil's Atelier

Very welcoming too

Post 4

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Erm, what happens if we pick a PR entry that has the unobliging nature smiley - winkeye to be picked before the 28th?

Post 5

Pastey

Then we have "words" with the person who notices smiley - winkeye

Post 6

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

For QoTD i'd go for one made by Mu Beta on 05/01/12

"I think it takes a brave man to go through 2legs' backlog."

I shall consider a full set of answers in time

Post 7

Pastey

I do think that may well be my favourite! smiley - biggrin

Post 8

Icy North

Yes, but will there be jelly?

Post 9

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

There is no jelly in my backlog. Well, only a bit. smiley - silly

Could the cancel thread be a contender for a long running thread, or is it too... too something? smiley - erm
Or the 'oh no nono nonono' thread, or whatever it is called... smiley - ermsmiley - weird

Post 10

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

This will take some concentration. smiley - online2long

Post 11

Secretly Not Here Any More

I will say one thing (in an unofficial capacity) about the QotD and Threads lists.

These are hopefully going to be spread about as examples of why h2g2 is such a great place. If we fill them full of in-jokes, they won't do that.

I'm not saying people shouldn't suggest a few in-joke things, but the top 14 references to Nighthoover, Sporks and Thingism might not give visitors the right idea. smiley - winkeye

Post 12

Pastey

"the top 14 references to Nighthoover, Sporks and Thingism might not give visitors the right idea"

Thank deities for that! smiley - winkeye

Post 13

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

"the top 14 references to Nighthoover, Sporks and Thingism might not give visitors the right idea"

They would give visitors the right idea...that's the problem smiley - winkeye

Post 14

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

ahh.... smiley - doh I didn't realise there were any conversation threads not* about nighthooverism thingitism or sporkism smiley - dohsmiley - run

Post 15

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

"left with no other option than to celebrate" smiley - rofl
Things like that are why I love being British smiley - biggrin

If this is the place for posting favourite entries (don't have Facebook or G+) I'm voting for The Egg Banjo A776054 and Kilburn A1171603

I miss Gubernatrix and Bels. Maybe the celebrations should include a Book of Remembrance for those Researchers no longer with us in a permanent fashion, such as Bels.

Post 16

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

That sounds like a great idea.

smiley - yikes I'm not volunteering! *frantically points at Gosho* It was his idea!

smiley - winkeye

I do happen to know that there's going to be a mass interview in smiley - thepost of researchers who joined in h2g2's first year who are still at least semi-activesmiley - ok

Post 17

Baron Grim

I submit the Useless Facts thread for long running convos.

F19585?thread=369071

It's over 9 years old, and over 9000 posts and still going. It's a great thread to read. You'll learn a lot of new (mostly useless) things and also learn that some of the (useless) things you thought you knew were wrong.

One thing you won't learn is whether on not sharks can, indeed, vomit under water as there remains a bit of contention regarding that subject. smiley - surfersmiley - islandsmiley - island
smiley - sharksmiley - dragon

Post 18

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

christ smiley - tongueout

Post 19

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

re 6:

I'm with nosebagsmiley - badger on this one smiley - ok

One does not simply walk into 2legs backlog smiley - zen

smiley - pirate

Post 20

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Is it that scary?smiley - yikes

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more