A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's Wrong With All Bookmarks

Post 7161

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

smiley - cool That's excellent!

Post 7162

Those poor people!

Post 7163

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

> You kinda make it sound like there are no consequences for behaviour because there is no external god.

You probably know that I'm an agnostic. I don't believe that there are any consequences for behavior, good or bad, beyond this earth. I do believe in altruism, and good for its own sake.

> Being that Satan is a cross cultural figure, and just the English version of the word is used (alongside Leviathian, Belial, and Lucifer)... And why should I cater or submit to everyone else's ignorance?

The Roman Catholics took the legend of Pan and gave him a new name - Satan - and told people he was the personification of evil. My only problem with calling him Satan is that it's a name that's had so much bad press. Why saddle your chosen philosophy with the bad propaganda of the Catholic Church? I'm not saying you should cater to everyone else's ignorance, just because people don't understand history. It just would have made things a lot easier for the Church of Satan.

> it only ties it up in Christian mythology if you know nothing else besides white English speaking culture

Satan exists in all religions that have grown from the Bible, not just Christianity. There's a Muslim Satan (read the Satanic Verses - good book!)

> The punishment comes from onesself - if you screw up, then you and only you are responsible for the consequences.

That's what I believe. There is no hell like the one we create for ourselves.

Post 7164

badger party tony party green party

From the guardian article Zoomer limked to:
smiley - bookThe note, which acknowledged Gunn suffered post-traumatic stress, said: "After discussion of his case it was determined ... this may be in his best interest mentally to overcome his fear by facing it. Therefore, he has been cleared for redeployment."smiley - book

Its like it was lifted straight from "Catch 22"

Len its easiest to think of Satanism like this. Its like a child who leaves home but cant stop stop taunting their parents about it.

Anyone sensible would just say "I dont believe in your rules Im off so long and thanks for all the fish". Satanists pout, stamp their feet, make all sorts of elaborate hand gestures and slam the door on the way out. If the overgrown drama queens really rejected the whole Judeao/Christian schtick as false why do they have to make such a song and dance about it. Then here's the best bit, they reverse christian some of the rituals and find/rediscover their own mythical smiley - devil figure to venerate. What is all that aboutsmiley - huh

Well I wouldnt say theat the satanists Ive met though, they might hex me.smiley - skullsmiley - run

one love smiley - winkeye

Post 7165

That whole thing sounds Orwellian to me - like they manufactured that statement, complete with signature. Perhaps it was peer pressure that got him to sign that statement.

Morale is definitely going down, and current events aren't helping a bit. First there's the incidents of rape, then there's the high suicide rate among the military. I have to wonder how the drug use rate is doing... In Vietnam it was a real problem.

Blicky, I'm tempted to say that the Church of Satan was deliberately trying to start some controversy. Most Satanists are not wallflowers! They're rebellious, independent thinkers.

Post 7166

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

I'm a rebelious indepentant thinking Christian, that tends to be why I end up getting into arguments with unthinking christians who believe and follow all the dogma, religious nutters, primarily Christian, who spout drivel and athiests who spout off against Christianity when they know nothing about it or only know what what the affore mentioned religious nutters say

smiley - cheers

What's Wrong With Americans

Post 7167

badabingjnp

Back to the original question, "What is wrong with Americans?" There is absolutely nothing wrong with American's. America is a "melting pot" of an infinite amount of cultures and there will never be any dominate way of living, thinking or talking. There will always be the ignorant Americans who think their country is superior to every other country and experiencing any other country would be a waste of time. As a human being anywhere in the world, we should be taught or should teach to live with those types of people. British may or may not like American's because of the principles that founded this country and the way it has evolved. As an American, I can live with that. I have no problems with any other foreigner's distaste for America because Americans have been through quite a number of disagreements or disasters. Even more than other countries and America has only been a country for fractions of the time of them. This could be due to out democratic gov't. or the politicians who run this country, but someone has to do it. I don't agree with America's "meddling" but it isn't my decision. And America's "meddling" has a big effect on other's distastes for the country but America is just a name for the country. The name doesn't represent every single human being in the country. Fact is, many Americans disagree with the gov't. just as much as the people of other countries. I would like to see America take a Canadian approach to situations or maybe even stay out of the whole thing and let other nations decide what to do. Maybe then we could see what works best instead of jumping into war. Problem's with America? Problems with the world. These "problems" create history and everyone learns from history. Maybe the textbooks are larger in other places.

Post 7168

Travelling_man

Hear about the dislexic devil worshipper?

Sold his soul to santa.

smiley - bubbly

Post 7169

Pit Hinder card carrying brain donor

Good one, Travelling Man!
As to Americans...a lot of American-bashing may be due to the fact that only all things ugly are imported over here. Uneducated kids (many of whom don´t even speak proper German, let alone English)styling themselves after street gangs (ALL kids in the USA are in cool gangs, we see it on MTV)...politicians no longer ashamed to be bought and show it...lousy cheap s**t on TV...no, I don´t like it.
Americans as individuals - great. Absolutely great.Those not in the White house. Funnily the majority of my buddies over there are of the stoopid gun- totin´ furriner-hatin redneck breed - invariably well educated, always polite and incredibly friendly.
So - bashing America is OK, but bash an American´and you have to clobber me as well.

smiley - ale Pit

Post 7170

Delicia - The world's acutest kitten

*snort* Travelling man smiley - smiley
Couldn't agree with you more, PH, the bashing of individuals is something I'm totally opposed to on principle, unless it's basher. smiley - winkeye I don't like the US government either, but then I don't like my own government any better. Governments seem to suck generally, and maybe we need a lot less of it, just like church, which I find a most well meaning institution, long as it isn't state religion.

Post 7171

Baron Grim

I think I might join the D.N.A.- The National Dyslexics Assoc.

Didya hear about the dylsexic agnostic insomniac... He was up all night wondering if there really is a Dog.

(I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.)

"and athiests who spout off against Christianity when they know nothing about it or only know what what the affore mentioned religious nutters say"

I actually find most true athiests to be very supportive of religous tolerance... You may be thinking of your garden variety agnostic/disaffected christian... the ones that still have a chip on their shoulder... I used to be that way. I was bitter about some of the techniques used on me by visiting evangelists: False Execution for instance.. but that's another story and should not reflect the church as a whole.

"the bashing of individuals is something I'm totally opposed to on principle"

Not me! smiley - evilgrin I love singling people out if they demonstrate a predilection for ignorance or smiley - footinmouth disease. What I don't like is rash generalities along the lines of "I think ALL americans are flag waving blahdibiblahs..." Or "Germans are all a bunch of tree huggin bleebilblees" or "All Brits are lollipop suckin' floodlefloos". But show me a fool of any type and I'll be happy to point it out. smiley - evilgrin

Post 7172

Baron Grim

::We interupt this thread to bring you something REALLY REALLY Funny!::

Check out the end of the world: http://www.funnyjunk.com/pages/world.htm
(warning: there is some foul language)

Post 7173

Saturnine

smiley - book

Post 7174

<< The name doesn't represent every single human being in the country. Fact is, many Americans disagree with the gov't. just as much as the people of other countries. I would like to see America take a Canadian approach to situations>>
This is a very good statement, badabingjnp.

Post 7175

<>
It sounds like an interesting story! Do visit my space if you want to tell it...

Post 7176

I think America can safely be divided into two schools of thought: those who want to control world events so that America benefits financially, and those who think that America should stay out of world affairs and work on things here at home. I'm all for neutrality.

Post 7177

Lentilla,
not only the US! I am quite sick of my country styling itself as sort of mini-America...look for a tribal feud that has been going on for millenia, have the media toss a coin to decide who are the good and who are the bad guys and meddle in.
Even more puke-starting: the bickering between Bush and our Schröder. "We have given you moral support in the Iraq thing, so toss us a few of the rebuilding contracts". Yuk.
Pit

Post 7178

Hear hear. It's perfectly sickening, that whining for contracts. And who's going to pay for it, why the taxpayer of course. They would like that, wouldn't they, our big money. The domestic market plummets due to unemployment and increasing pressure on those who still have a job to work more and more for less and less wages. If our big business wants orders they got to understand the significance of the domestic market instead of whining for tax funded contracts, with the work ideally performed by some cheap labour. I begin to think that where the understanding of basic economics is concerned they're just as stupid as our GDR concret heads of yore, but I suppose it's too much to hope that they disappear into the same sunset of political irrelevance.
smiley - steam
The Ami broke it, so the Ami fixes it.
And I for one would like to know what business we have in Yugoslavia.

Germans in Yugoslavia vs. Americans in Absurdistan

Post 7179

Well, we show we can play with the big boys, of course - although first creating job opportunities in e.g. Görlitz would be more sensible.

What appalls me much more is the fact that enlisting is the only way to get a job and some education in the US, if you come from a poor/underprivileged region or family. These boys get shipped home in a crate - sender address some country their parents are not even able to find on a map.

Hmmm...so I´m back to bashing America. Let me climb on my soapbox and shout out loud:
Americans aren´t dumb f*ckers. They are being f*cked dumb by a government they once trusted.

Germans in Yugoslavia vs. Americans in Absurdistan

Post 7180

And still trust, many of them, that's what's so tragic. But then why should Americans be smarter than three quarters of the German population who seriously believe it makes a difference whether the blackies or the pinkies have the power to squash any sensible suggestion made in parliament (not that I've heard any lately) just because it came from somebody else. Add to that the 10 % who think the greens are good for the environment and world peace.
As for finding things on a map I know of a German pupil who was looking for Berlin on a map of North America. Found it too, as Berlin has at least one namesake in every every US State. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more