A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What isn't currently in demand, with long order waiting times?

Post 1

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

So it seems these Covid/Brexit days almost everything related to leisure pursuits in even the most abstract way, is in huge demand. All my hobbies are affected; There is nothing I want to buy that I can just buy. And daily we hear about a wide range of things from new and used vans, to sand, to astronomical equipment, photography equipment, houses, audio equipment, computer chips, holiday accommodation, etc, etc, etc being unavailable or subject to long waiting times of months or more than a year to supply smiley - erm

So has anyone unexpectantly found something that is in plentiful supply and is even cheaper due to low demand? I'm struggling to think of anything, but I'll consider anything for a new easily serviced hobbysmiley - laugh

Post 2

Baron Grim

I heard this just this morning... Business class airline seats. Business travel is down drastically. Business travelers typically constituted 70% of air passengers.

Also, as far as physical products and supplies, nearly everything has been effected by covid. Supply chains are just broken. I heard a good story on the radio about this a few weeks ago. In a way, it's all due to the success of Toyota in the '70s. The Toyota company pioneered "on time supply". They kept surplus low to increase profits and efficiency. Most other companies, over the following decades, misinterpreted this strategy as "No surplus". So with most businesses keeping as little surplus as they can any interruption breaks the supply chain. In the US, cargo containers and container ships are stacking up outside Los Angeles. There's not enough trade going the other way to fill those containers and return them to Asia. Typically container ships might take a week or two to transport goods from Asia to the US (via primarily the port of L.A.). Now they're sitting off the coast for sometimes well over a month.

It's effecting everything.
I ordered a new golf umbrella last week (because I left my previous one on my way out of the hospital after my MRI/CAT scans, I remembered it all day until I sat it down for just a moment to pay a machine for my parking smiley - grr ). I expected to get the new one in maybe 2-3 days. I got a notification telling me it will arrive between August 22nd to September 10th. smiley - sigh

Post 3

Hmm, travelling on Business class airline seats as a hobby smiley - erm I'll consider it smiley - winkeye

Post 4

Baron Grim

Ah... I was responding mostly to the title. smiley - doh

It got me thinking about that supply chain problem and I sort of lost the context.

My hobby for the pandemic has been video games. I haven't had much trouble getting even physical copies for my Nintendo Switch games and digital downloads are always available, but I've just about given up all hope for getting a PS5 console until the PS6 comes out... maybe. smiley - wah

Post 5

smiley - smiley Don't worry about it; I'm just happy to get any replies to posts on here these days smiley - yikes. That's another thing we have to wait ages for now. New threads on hootoo!

Post 6

paulh, making lemonade from the lemons that life has given me

I don't think collecting cargo containers would be feasible. smiley - winkeye

Post 7

You can call me TC

I did read somewhere that Marmite was in short supply but I ordered some and it came in a few days. In fact, I haven't experienced any shortages so far.

smiley - erm I did order some swimming trunks for my husband which will be arriving 2-3 days later than the rest of the order.

Post 8

paulh, making lemonade from the lemons that life has given me

Just in time for flood waters to recede.

Key: Complain about this post