A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What on earth is going on?

Post 1

You can call me TC

I just posted to a conversation and noticed that my user name had been changed to "Array".

I COULD possibly have inadvertently executed a complicated series of clicks and got into the "preferences" box by mistake (but how likely is that?) BUT I have not typed the word "Array" for as far back as I can remember.

There have been a few odd error messages popping up lately but the smiley - hamstersmiley - hamster have outdone themselves there!

Post 2

paulh, making lemonade from the lemons that life has given me

Caiman Raptor and Minor Vogon Poet have also been morphed into Array.

Post 3

Baron Grim

Very odd! smiley - weird

I saw that, but now you're back to TC.
And what's even more odd is that previous "Array" post still says "Array" but clicking on the name takes one to your normal "TC" User Space. Normally if you change your screen name it changes universally across the site.

I'd drop a message to the hamsters. smiley - hamstersmiley - hamstersmiley - hamster

I don't know which group of hamsters smiley - hamster would be most appropriate. I only know the address for gurus at h2g2, and since I can't find any other contact information on this broken site, that's as good a place as any to try.

Post 4

h2g2 Guide Editors

That is weird indeed - Tech have noted the issue, but we will pass this additional information to them now smiley - ok

Post 5

Baron Grim

You've been assimilitated by the BORG, TC! smiley - yikessmiley - borgsmiley - borgsmiley - borgsmiley - borgsmiley - borgsmiley - borg

Post 6

Thanks, editors. I haven't been affected -- yet.

Post 7

You can call me TC

I think I've figured it out. Despite what I said above, I may have gone to change my nametag a few days ago. smiley - senior I just did that (again??) and noticed this time that there is a limit to the number of characters you can put in the box. I vaguely remember something being said about that a few years ago.

So possibly I DID go to Settings and change my name but got carried away and put in a really long tagline. Then the system freaked out and changed it. I just pressed update without checking.

I might test that out but it's 5 am and I ought really to be in bed.

It's just so hot here, I couldn't sleep.

Post 8

I don't understand how the system could use "Array" as your name. smiley - huh

Post 9

Icy North

It smells like part of an error message supplanted your name. Array is typically used to indicate a programmatical area of indexed data.

Although getting your error message into the data itself is something that's pretty unusual, even for this site. It's not unlike when those Blue Screens of Death appear from time to time on digital billboards.

Post 10

You can call me TC

I thought that must be what it was, Icy; as I said, I am sure I hadn't typed the word any time recently.

Anyway, it's sorted now.

Post 11

Doe, a deer, a female deer,
Array, a drop of golden sun.
smiley - run

Post 12

You can call me TC

Well, it happened again. I got a new tablet and have tried to log on to h2g2 on it. It's hopeless. I'm just going round in circles.

I start on the Pliny home page and go to "Sign in or Register". I fill in all the blanks and tick "I am not a robot" and the T&C and then "Log in".

Which takes me back to the Front Page again, where I am asked to Sign in or register.

So I repeat the procedure, which also gives me a completely blank white screen with "Settings" or "Logout" at the top.

Clicking on "settings" takes me back to the login

Post 13

You can call me TC

Whoops, hadn't finished....

Clicking on settings on this blank screen gives me another opportunity to enter my password, which I have now changed as I got fed up with typing the old one over and over again (well, I thought it was asking me to change it, actually).

I enter the password and land on the regular login page and the whole thing starts again.

As the Germans say "Es ist zum Mäusemelken"

Post 14

You can call me TC

Oh, and it's changed my name to Array again, no matter how often I write my TV moniker in the box, keeping it short just to be sure.

Post 15

You can call me TC

I mean TC moniker. Damn autocorrect

Post 16

You can call me TC

OMG I've found the answer. I just opened the page in my familiar Goo instead of the Pliny and there I was all logged in and ready to go. Excuse me while I try and change my name back....

Post 17

You can call me TC

Yay!

Post 18

Baron Grim

How frustrating.

Post 19

Hooray for Array.