A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What did you forget today?

Post 1

Baron Grim

We all have our routines. While each day is a new day to blah blah blah... much of our days are nearly identical to every day before it. Mornings are especially, well, routine. You get out of bed maybe turning off the alarm clock. Maybe you head directly to the bathroom for a shower, shave, shampoo... You feed the pets, and make yourself a breakfast, read the paper or watch the morning news. You get dressed, grab a few things, then it's off to work or school or wherever. Every Day. You don't have to think about much. You're on autopilot. You get to wherever you go and you realize you forgot something. What is it? Your lunch? Your homework? Your umbrella?

Lately I seem to be forgetting things more often, or maybe I'm just noticing it more. Some days it's my belt and I have to repeatedly hike up my trousers. Some days it's just my handkerchief and comb. The worst days, it's my security badge for work and I have to go back home to get it or go to Security to get a "D.A." badge. (Rumor has it "D.A." stands for dumbass.)

Today it was my messenger bag I carry with me almost everywhere. And in that bag are my reading glasses. I used to have excellent vision, but with age my eyes (well, eye) have decided that they're just done focusing on things. Those muscles have retired. So I have two pair of bifocals. One that's far and midrange, and one that's midrange and near. When I'm sitting at my desk at work, that second pair is perfect. My monitors are at arms length, perfect for those midrange lenses, but I'm going to have trouble with anything closer. And I might get a achy neck from tilting my head back all day.

So, what did you forget today?

Post 2

Baron Grim

Aaaand...

As I looked in the restroom mirror, I realized I also forgot my comb and handkerchief. They go in my left rear jeans pocket.

Post 3

Bald Bloke

I have no idea, but I expect I'll find out later...
If I remember.

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I worry about forgetting.

That's why I always adding things to the list in my wallet, or putting notes on my dining room table.

Post 5

Baron Grim

Lists are greatly useful. I love that I can make actual check lists on my mobile device (Google Keep notes). It's great to have boxes to tick for grocery lists and packing lists for going on trips.

I hope my memory doesn't get bad enough that I need to tick boxes before leaving the house. smiley - headhurts

Post 6

When you reach that point, you may forget to even tick boxes. smiley - winkeye

Post 7

Bald Bloke

I made a list, but forgot where it is...

Post 8

Baron Grim

This morning it's the thing I think I forget most often, my wristwatch.

Also, this morning in the shower, I remembered that yesterday morning I forgot to remove my spectacles before getting in the shower.

Yes, "spectacles". If I'm forgetting things like a geezer smiley - senior I should start talking like a geezer smiley - senior .

Post 9

Why not? I do, too.

Post 10

Bald Bloke

Oh Spectacles...
I have spent ages looking for them, while wearing them.
or can't find them because they are hanging on my shirt...

smiley - senior

Post 11

Baron Grim

Ooh. I never put my glasses on top of my head. Maybe it's just me, maybe I have oily hair, but I can't stand for any dust or smudges on my lenses and the mere thought of putting my glasses on my head makes me reach for the lens cloth.

Post 12

Baron Grim

I jumped to a conclusion there. I instantly imagined the classic "lost glasses on top of head" trope.

I need to start reading more closely. smiley - laugh

Post 13

Bald Bloke

But you can't read more closely, if you haven't found youre specs...

I agree with you, I hate having to constantly deal with smudges on the lenses.

Post 14

Maybe you could make the print on your computer screen bigger?

Post 15

Baron Grim

The screen was OK, as I set them at arms length. What was challenging was positioning negatives in the film carriers for scanning.

Post 16

Orcus

Sorry..,

What was the question again?

Post 17

What did you remember today? smiley - smiley

Post 18

Baron Grim

Everything... It's not a work day so I got up at my own pace and had nowhere to go in the morning. smiley - evilgrin

Post 19

Baron Grim

I forgot about Daylight Saving Time... and observed it today. smiley - cross

I loathe Daylight Saving Time. It's just a stupid and useless policy.
So a few years ago, I decided that if my government was going to keep extending "Summer" time through three of the four seasons, I just wasn't going to participate anymore.

I do change my clocks, but I also change my work schedule and morning alarm so my circadian rhythm remains on Central Standard Time.

Well, last night I woke a few times. The last time I turned to see that it was 4:37. My mind thought, "well, no point in waiting for the clock to go off in 8 minutes", so I got up and ready for work. It wasn't until I was on my way in the car and heard the short science and engineering story of the day that I normally hear at 5:47 as I get out of bed, that I realized my mistake. smiley - doh

Post 20

Were you an hour late for work?

Key: Complain about this post