A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Lockdown.

Post 501

Baron Grim

[Random thought] "too many sopranos" reminded me of "too many secrets" from the film _Sneakers_. So, "too many sopranos" is an anagram for "A Spoon Astronomy". Do with that as you will. smiley - laughsmiley - silly

Lockdown.

Post 502

Caiman raptor elk - Escaping the Array

Just don't eat the moon.

"A lack of tenors" yields "Fasten oarlock" which is a good idea if you don't want to swim instead of rowing. (I can tell from experience)

Lockdown.

Post 503

paulh, the apocalypse is coming, it's just late

You want to know why tenors are in short supply in choirs and choral societies? It's because they're mostly off singing rock music.

Lockdown.

Post 504

But I can't prove it, of course. Men with low voices (Johnny Cash, for instance) aren't in as much demand in pop music. Unless they're in groups like Peter, Paul and Mary.

Lockdown.

Post 505

You can call me TC

James Hetfield has a lovely bass voice.
Here in Germany, mask-wearing, distancing and contact tracing are well regulated for choir practice and during church services.

Our figures are rising at the moment, and, although our choir practised on Thursday and sung on Sunday there were only 6 of us and distancing was no problem. 4 of the group are arrived couples anyway.

We took off our masks once we were out of the main body of the church, and I have no idea if that's allowed or not. We are all vaccinated and have had to show our documents. The congregation down below are allowed to join in, but with masks on, as they are not asked to prove vaccination, recovery or test.

Lockdown.

Post 506

Teasswill

"You want to know why tenors are in short supply in choirs and choral societies? It's because they're mostly off singing rock music."

Indeed - one of our tenors & myself (alto) sing with an amateur band. We compete a bit as to what key/songs to suit us both. Sometimes one of us can jump an octave to manage.

Lockdown.

Post 507

You could be right.

Men with low voices tend to sing more in their comfort zone (unless you see some of the arrangements our choir leader has come up with)

We do have rock songs in our repertoire. That might help...

Lockdown.

Post 508

Teasswill

Our choir does sing rock/pop songs, but arranged to suit 4 part harmony, so often a different key from the original.

The band generally learns by ear from the original, whereas us singers like to have sheet music. Hurrah for software that makes transposing easy!

Lockdown.

Post 509

We used to have an accompanist who could transpose at the piano keyboard. smiley - smiley

Lockdown.

Post 510

We typically start out new repertoire with sheet music. Performances are always without.

When I joined we had SATB, then the mezzos became separated from the sopranos to get SMATB, but now we are effectively SMAB, which makes it hard to arrange new songs that are future proof. Especially since our choir leader prefers to arrange so that everyone has actual text, instead of just oohs aaahs and mmmms to fill in. (he has a backgound in opera)

Lockdown.

Post 511

smiley - bigeyes

Lockdown.

Post 512

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

we are still masking up when we go into any establishment.It's about half and half with the rest of the population around here.Mostly the elderly but then this is a retirement village.smiley - tea

Lockdown.

Post 513

Starting next monday, most restrictions are lifted here. No more mask obligation or 1.5m distance obligation. My employer expects us to be a minimum of 3 days a week in the office. (I have been there for 5 days a week for some time now, but only 5-10% of the others were there, the rest working from home). I hope I still know all their names...

Lockdown.

Post 514

It's hard top recognize people who are wearing masks.

Lockdown.

Post 515

Well that won't be a problem then.

Let's see who shows up in his pyjamas...

Lockdown.

Post 516

Covid-19 has become the number one killer of police in the U.S. Biden is exporting doses of vaccine to the rest of the world (presumably the doses that Americans are refusing to accept).

No one has required vaccine passports here yet.

Massachusetts doesn't have a crushing load of Covid patients, but after a year and a half of postponed procedures for other conditions, lots of people are ending up in ICU's and having to compete for space with the Covid patients.

Lockdown.

Post 517

Exporting doses makes sense if you want to go back to an open world community / economy

We will need corona passports for a lot of things from monday. The upside is that the diminishing new vaccination rate has picked up again significantly. Night clubs will still remain closed.

Non-Covid care has accumulated a big backlog here as well.

Lockdown.

Post 518

Teasswill

Well, we seem to have resolved our choir at the wedding issue. Now sitting where we usually do (at the back) between two open doors, but chairs only about half a metre apart. The 3 of us most concerned will be on the edge so we can go outside when not singing.

I must admit I cringed at those sitting close together chatting & laughing profusely. Would be OK if it was only themselves they put at risk.

Lockdown.

Post 519

You can call me TC

We have needed to show our proof of vaccination for some time now. There is an app you can download to scan a QR code if you go to a restaurant or cafe (it's very easy to forget to check out again though when you leave)

On vaccination we were given slips to stick in our vaccination passbooks, and a separate sheet for international use as the yellow vaccination passes are apparently not recognised elsewhere.

The PTB have been trying to move away from the incidence count which has been the measure for everything so far (new cases per 100,000 population over the past 7 days) but we have been using this for so long that it's hard. The new criteria are the incidence of hospitalisations and ICU patients.

Lockdown.

Post 520

You can call me TC

Sorry, that was a bit confused. The vaccination certificate is also in an app.

The other app for use in restaurants and public places is for contact tracing. I still have no idea what to do if I did test positive - how I would use the app to inform the restaurant of the fact.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more