A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Lockdown.

Post 461

paulh, making lemonade from the lemons that life has given me

smiley - goodluck

Lockdown.

Post 462

Teasswill

I'm amazed how casual some people are being already, even ones who were being ultra careful earlier because of vulnerable people in their household. They also seem unaware of the rules/guidance. The latter is unsurprising given the Gov sloppy mix of rules, guidance etc, also perhaps their lack of medical knowledge.

In our village hall at singing rehearsal (we count as 'professional' because we're singing at a wedding) I've had to keep reminding people to keep at 2 m, sit down, keep masks on until singing & if they want to chat, to go outside. As it turns out, we're going to be singing outside at the wedding - very strange arrangements!

Local fundraiser tea party in a garden yesterday pm - reasonably well controlled & spaced but we were quite glad to be allocated a table for 2 well away from the rest.

In the evening we went to a local small cinema - felt very safe, plenty of empty seats between people, all keeping apart going in/out & wearing masks. That's how I'd prefer things to stay, but I do appreciate they're probably not covering costs with such small attendance.

Lockdown.

Post 463

Teasswill

PS just remembered at the tea party, as we were going, one of these surprisingly casual people commented in a slightly derogatory way about expecting to see us wearing masks as though that would be excessive caution. We had actually arrived wearing masks, but felt we could leave without as not passing too close to anyone. But it's the sort of attitude people like us continuing to use masks are going to meet.

Lockdown.

Post 464

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

One advantage to mask wearing is that the naysayers can't read your lips or see your stuck out tongue.smiley - winkeye

Lockdown.

Post 465

The latest fashion trend in Boston is masks below the chin. It shows you're ready to pull the mask up over your nose and mouth if need be.

Lockdown.

Post 466

Baron Grim

Oh, usually fashion trends start on the East Coast and we get them months (or years) later, but that's been the fashion here since mandatory mask rules were first put in place.

Yep, "chin bras" were all the rage here about a year ago.

smiley - erm

Lockdown.

Post 467

Yep, that's trendy Texas for you.

I thought fashion trends started in California and gradually worked their way east -- where Boston is. Boston is last to the table, which sounds like what happened with this.

Lockdown.

Post 468

Baron Grim

I'm pretty sure the very last place trends and fashions arrive is in West Virginia. smiley - laugh

I remember visiting Buckhannon W.Va as a kid and feeling quite hip in comparison. smiley - rofl

Lockdown.

Post 469

You may well be right. West Virginia seems to be regarded as not a great state to live in. Very little economic promise. It has the largest population decline in the U.S.

When John Denver sings "Country roads," he seems to be seeing a West Virginia that few others see.

Lockdown.

Post 470

Baron Grim

Oh, it's a beautiful place to visit. Well the parts they haven't tore up for coal.

Lockdown.

Post 471

I read somewhere that eating much too much is an entrenched part of the culture in that state.

Not that I haven't done that earlier in my life....

Lockdown.

Post 472

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

More than 46 million people in the UK have now had their first dose of a coronavirus vaccine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Lockdown.

Post 473

That sounds like about two-thirds of the population, but how many are fully vaccinated?

Lockdown.

Post 474

Teasswill

Just over 35,000 have had 2 doses, but not necessarily the subsequent 2 weeks for it to be fully effective. About half the population.
Given that the vaccine is not 100% effective, plenty of scope for more hospitalisations & deaths.

Lockdown.

Post 475

No vaccine is 100% effective.

Lockdown.

Post 476

Baron Grim

The cootie shots I got in grade school have been 100% effective.

°°••

Lockdown.

Post 477

Well lockdown ceased yesterday but I noticed no real change. Everyone is masking up still to enter shops and eateries and pubs. Still signing in or using the NHS app. I think most of us don't trust this government to get anything right.smiley - erm

Lockdown.

Post 478

Teasswill

According to TV news, just seemed to be a load of young people crowded into nightclubs. When I recall the 'isolation' of my teen & young adult years (no mobile phones, no social media, sparse social events, occasional arranged meets out of school/work) I do wonder what sort of frailty we have induced in these young people, that they seem so reliant on close social contact.

The problem is those that couldn't care less may well have an adverse impact on those who do.

Lockdown.

Post 479

In Arkansas, the hospitals are getting overwhelmed with covid cases. Very low rates of vaccination in that state. Citizens distrustful of government -- brainwashed by Trump. I cried when I saw the youtube video about that. smiley - sadface

Two plagues: the physical one and the emotional one.

Lockdown.

Post 480

Teasswill

Two contradictory letters in our local paper today, but both slating Boris (one for poor use of lateral flow tests & app, asserting no symptoms, no COVID, the other for too much relaxing of rules about mask wearing etc)
Utter shambles from start to - when?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more