A Conversation for Ask h2g2

I don't get it.

Post 1

You can call me TC

Some years ago,I bought a DVD of "The Princess Bride", because everyone seems to think it's so brilliant.

Only the other day did I actually get round to watching it.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. What am I missing?

I know it is to be taken with a pinch of salt, (with Mel Smith and Christopher Guest in the cast, that was a given) and I have read the entry on it as well as trawling through all the attached threads.

Has it dated?
Am I just a jaded old fogey?
Am I expecting too much?

The entry is here: A1156817

I don't get it.

Post 2

paulh. Creative, original, and sometimes wrong

Jaded old fogeys are right often enough to be worth listening to. smiley - smiley

I don't get it.

Post 3

The Left Reverend Doktor Baron Grim

"Has it dated?
Am I just a jaded old fogey?
Am I expecting too much?"

Yes! All of the above.

I still love it, but it's now nostalgia.

It was a refreshingly fun and playful film when it first came out. But now there's been so many things that either copied its style or referenced it that the novelty is gone.

And as much as we'd like to think humor is timeless, it's so not!

I've gone back and tried to watch some things that I thought were absolutely hilarious when I was young and now I find them tedious and annoying. The Goodies is unwatchable now. Benny Hill is as well.

I don't get it.

Post 4

Benny Hill's charms eluded me from the beginning. smiley - smiley

"Where's Poppa" was thought to be one of the funniest movies ever made when it first came out. It still has an insanely funny bit at the very end, but there's also some tediousness with scenes that go on past the point where they should have been edited.

I might even enjoy "Airplane" less if I saw it today.

Groucho Marx, however, remains funny. Even in a third-rate movie ("A night in Casablanca" ), Groucho is funny whenever he's on screen. Unfortunately, there are too many scenes that he's not in. smiley - sadface

I don't get it.

Post 5

The Left Reverend Doktor Baron Grim

I'm divided on the classic, B&W comedies. I definitely like the Marx Bros, especially Groucho. I love the silent greats like Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd (who I think is even better than Keaton). Abbot and Costello were often hilarious.

But I've never liked Laurel & Hardy. Stan Laurel is OK I suppose, but Oliver Hardy was always just such a pompous boor, he really turned me off.

Charlie Chaplin's comedy doesn't age well, mostly. But I do need to get around to finally seeing _The Great Dictator_.

I don't get it.

Post 6

MY brother gave his son a complete set of Charlie Chaplin on CD. I found myself watching them with him (I was there for Christmas). I remember that there was a scene with Chaplin and a globe of the world.

I don't get it.

Post 7

Hoovooloo

The Princess Bride is a classic for so many reasons. If you don't get it, well, fine, but there's no point telling you why you're wrong because humour and taste are subjective, so in an important sense, you're not wrong at all.

What you surely must be able to appreciate, however, is bar none the best sword fight ever put on film. "I am not left handed" - "I'm not left-handed either."

Some humour does date badly - I can't imagine watching "Mind Your Language" in 2019. On the other hand, I remember as a child absolutely loving Hitchhiker's Guide, and discovering on the bookshelf in my room (stocked by my grandparents and mum) "1066 And All That". I assumed, initially, that it was written by Douglas Adams or one of his mates, and was amazed to discover that it was written before WWII. It seemed so... modern. I recommend it to anyone.

Key: Complain about this post

I don't get it.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more