A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Gift ideas

Post 1

Teasswill

for a non English speaking 8 year old girl, gift needs to be posted overseas....

Hoping someone has some ideas.
I need to get something pretty quickly, will need to be posted soon!!

Gift ideas

Post 2

Icy North

Local craft shops & craft fairs should have plenty of things to choose from. Handmade purses, knitted phone socks, etc.

Gift ideas

Post 3

Superfrenchie

Any ideas at all about what the girl is interested in? Sports, crafts, superheroes, unicorns?
Or do we go "generic 8-year-old-girly things"?
smiley - smiley

Gift ideas

Post 4

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Anything simple like a scarf of cool hat with something depicting your location? Or a souvenir booklet of local sites in photos?

Gift ideas

Post 5

Teasswill

Last year she was heavily into anything cat related. Has started piano lessons, enjoys drawing. Already has tons of toys, games, dolls etc.
I just haven't much idea what any 8 yr old girl might like - I have asked her dad but haven't yet had any suggestions.

Gift ideas

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Might it help to know what her language is?

Gift ideas

Post 7

Teasswill

Probably not, but it's Japanese. The issue is that a lot of suitable age gifts entail reading & understanding instructions, which her Dad could do, but it's not quite the same. Especially if it's eg an activity book.

Gift ideas

Post 8

bobstafford

Long Shot here

How about her first camera

Gift ideas

Post 9

Baron Grim

I nice, quality, stuffed animal is a quite suitable gift.

My cousin carried around her "Lambie" until it was threadbare and one-eyed.

Gift ideas

Post 10

Teasswill

Giving me food for thought, thanks. Lightweight, durable & not too expensive are also factors to consider!

Gift ideas

Post 11

You can call me TC

That's about the age for a First Communion where a watch or a camera is a suitable present. However, that sort of thing is available in abundance in Japan and the best you can do is send something she definitely won't find over there.

My first thought was a doll. I know I was playing with dolls most intensively at that age.

As she is into animals, that seems to be the best route to follow. So difficult without the language. Do the parents speak English? What about a board game with pictures or numbers? The parents could explain how to play it.

Otherwise perhaps a kit to make jewellery designed for little girls....

Gift ideas

Post 12

Probably n ot a stuffed topy basedo n the Pokemon. They probably have stuffed pokemon an imals everywhere there smiley - erm.

Gift ideas

Post 13

Baron Grim

Let me guess, the post above was entered via a mobile device? smiley - laugh

Gift ideas

Post 14

No, it wasn't. My fingers play tricks they didn't used to play and my eyes no longer catch them in time. smiley - blush

Key: Complain about this post