A Conversation for Ask h2g2

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 1

Teasswill

I have inherited my son's PS2 & am thinking about getting a PS4.
In the past I've enjoyed PC & Wii games, I'm just not very good at them! Got stuck on Lego Pirate even using a walkthrough guide. Have started LotR on PS2 and am doing 'fair' so far - haven't really mastered fighting with the console controls. Also tried Final Fantasy IX but agian have had to consult a walkthrough to even get as far as being able to save a game.
Any suggestions for games that aren't solely fighting to progress,more Sci-Fi/fantasy than rambo type?

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 2

Orcus

That's quite Old-skool so why not try some of the Zelda games - Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess should be PS2 compatible (I think) is one of the best of that series. All of them are good in that series though.
For PS4 - not a clue sorry smiley - laugh

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 3

Orcus

sorry, my edit caught me out there - they are two of the best in that series obv smiley - rolleyes

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 4

Orcus

And my ignorance of the video gaming industry post millennium shines through.

Strike that - just checked and they seem to jealously keep Zelda to Nintendo platforms - although apparently the *latest* one will be out of PS4 - smiley - sorry

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 5

Baron Grim

I'm a Nintendo kid (50+) and I have, but have not started, the latest Zelda adventure for the Switch. I may be completely mistaken, but isn't Final Fantasy rather like the Zelda for PS consoles? I know it's goes back to the earliest Play Station, unenumerated.

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 6

Teasswill

Zelda is available for Wii, I have wondered about getting that. Does look a bit like Final Fantasy.
Just got Okami for PS2, will be interested to try that out.

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 7

Orcus

Zelda and FF are pretty different imo. FF is a turn based role playing game, Zelda is not.

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 8

Orcus

(based on the few titles of each I have actually played - they may vary I suppose)

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 9

Baron Grim

I believe Zelda started out as turn based, but they are both RPGs. I love the Zelda games in particular as they are structured in such a way that you're not required to stick to a single quest and can take as much time exploring and finding sidequests. I should probably just drop playing the new Mario for Switch and switch to Zelda since I haven't even played it in over a month. Zelda will keep my attention much more rapt, I'm sure.

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 10

Teasswill

I can see I need a lot more practice....
Haven't survived Grand Theft Auto for more than a few seconds (immensely bad at driving), rather poor at fighting in LotR so haven't survived more than one conflict.
Even with big hints from the on screen assistant I've died in Okami pretty soon. Still it's fun trying!

PS4 coming later this week with Spiderman. I need something where I can slow down the action!!

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 11

Orcus

I can't remember which driving game it was - mid 90s I suppose - but there was a garage scene where you had to perform various manoeuvres before you could actually enter the game.

I never entered the game as I just couldn't manage it.

Never got my head around the logic of making a game's entree so difficult that you give up.

And I'm no mug at computer games. Pretty sure if there'd been world championships at computer games in the 80s I'd been up there in some.

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 12

Orcus

Having googled - Driver I think it must have been - looks vaguely familiar and there is a comment on a youtube review for it claiming it had 'the hardest tutorial ever' - sounds familiar.

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 13

Baron Grim

I like driving games. For the shear fun of it, it's hard to beat Mario Kart. But I must say, my favorite driving game ever was Carmageddon, (of course I had it set for full foul mouthiness). The best part about it was your ability to just explore. After a few days of actually trying to participate in the races, I learned I could just take out all my opponents, and "score" enough pedestrians to give me basically unlimited time. Driving across the field inside the football stadium and "scoring" every player and ref was a nice surprise, but eventually I found the ramps hidden on top of many of the buildings on level one and realized the coders knew exactly what they were doing as I jumped from one building top to the next finding Easter eggs.

N.B. I just learned this week that the term "Easter egg" for a hidden joke for careful players or viewers may have originated with The Rocky Horror Picture Show as the actors actually had an Easter egg hunt on set and some of the unclaimed eggs are visible in the film for careful viewers (on is under Frank's throne).

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 14

Orcus

Don't tell the producers of Ready Player One that smiley - winkeye

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 15

Pink Paisley

Little Big Planet.

Standard platform bubble bursting stuff but looks as though it's been made by a collection of WI and nursery school people. Scenery is 'cardboard', 'wool', wood', and 'sponge.

Bonkers.

Lovely.

PP.

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 16

Teasswill

That looks quite fun, thanks.
So far I've been playing Journey, flOw & Flower, also started Skyrim. Plenty of variety there & not too much frustration so far!

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 17

$u$

An excellent question, the answer to which interests me greatly.

Skyrim is probably my favourite game of all time. I am hopeless at high-speed reflex games, but Skyrim can be played in a variety of different ways (sneak is my middle name). If I need to relax I can just wander around and pick flowers and enjoy the scenery and music...

smiley - dragon

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 18

Hoovooloo

If you get a PS4, you simply have to play "Journey". No reflexes required. It's just amazing.

PS2 and PS4 both have versions of "Shadow of the Colossus", which is worth your time but does require some combat skill.

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 19

Baron Grim

I'm currently, and for the foreseeable future, playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch. I'm absolutely amazed at how huge the map is. I only have the first three sections opened in the map and I'm not really sure how many more there are. I love just exploring in such a huge game.

PS2/PS4 game suggestions

Post 20

Teasswill

Journey is amazing! Even that took me a little while to get what to do...

I've realised that putting Skyrim down to novice level is worthwhile. Enabled me to kill a wolf after failing twice. Obviously plenty to explore there, too.

Key: Complain about this post