A Conversation for Ask h2g2

People who know what they want for lunch

Post 1

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Am I unusual in always being undecided on what I want when i go into a sandwich / food-to-go type shop?

I do make my own lunches around half the week, before anyone accuses me of extravigance smiley - winkeye

Reason I ask is that I am often amazed, when I find myself staring blankly at what might be a fairly familiar food range from a familiar shop, only to have person after person swoop in ahead of me, with their food target firmly in their sights, with not a second's hesitation smiley - huh

I don't think I have ever, in over 30 years of buying lunch during the working week, known exactly what I'm in the mood for the moment I enter the shop. Yet I often feel like the only one with this choice paralysis.

Anyone else? As an aside, any cod phycologists who want to tell me what else this lunch indecision says about me; feel free smiley - laugh

Post 2

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

You are not alone! - and we have lunch at home... and still every day we umm and urr... about what to have... I could cook this... or that... or we could not bother cooking and have this sandwich, or that sandwich, or some other equally quick no cooking type of thing... often if the indescision gets too deep I resort to 'type' and just do sausages with something... or resort to tuna sandwichs as absolute last non-deciding lunch of last resort... or cheese N pickle smiley - erm having to face a wall of choice, in a sandwich bar, type set-up, would.. mean I ate a lot less, as I'd just never decide smiley - laugh

Post 3

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I'm a weight watcher and I HAVE to plan ahead plus I'm in charge of the shopping and cooking.So I usually have already worked out the week's menu by Sunday evening ahead of my weekly shopping on a Monday.

smiley - tea

Post 4

Orcus

You're not alone. I'm *thoroughly* bored with all our place's canteen have to offer, both hot and cold sadly - which is a shame as they often cook up something nice. But once you've had it 30+ times, it gets.... samey

Trouble is, I also get bored with my own sandwiches too smiley - rofl

Post 5

Orcus

Mind you that latter point is not a problem at the moment. I've recently taken up making my own bread ... and it's so smiley - drool that I'm more interested in just eating the bread than what's inside it smiley - biggrin

Post 6

deb - I'm in love with my soup maker & I don't care who knows it

Nope, not unusual. I'm also a ditherer at the sandwich shop. Even if I go in with the intention of a cheese & onion sandwich, I have to look at the other choices and then...prawn might be nice...ooh, but look at that nice rare roast beef...hmm, haven't had tuna & sweetcorn for ages...smiley - rofl

I solve this by making batches of soup, freezing them, then getting one out each evening for the next day with no idea what's in it. Works for me.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad and 'slightly mad'

I go into a food-to-go place these days and know what I want because I did the umming and ahing in the past and deduced that there was only one option that I really liked, so I get that!

I make my own lunches most days, though, so it is not *too* samey (I tend to have the same thing on more than one day each week as I use up a packet of something, but try to vary it week-to-week).

Post 8

Caiman raptor elk - Yes, but what if the box is REALLY big?

Can I have the yoghurt with banana, wallnuts, maple syrup and cinnamon please?

Post 9

Baron Grim

I didn't think I'd ever do such a thing, but I recently started using a mobile app to order from a nearby burger chain location. I can sit on my sofa and take my time to pick and choose what I want and then get really quick service when I take the golf cart to pick it up. (On the first trip I made the mistake of specifying that I'd pick up in the Drive-Thru lane... smiley - doh Needlessly waiting behind other vehicles.)

But at least you didn't go right up to the counter while you made your decision. It's one thing to stare at the menu while others pass you by, but what's infuriating is when someone stands in line waiting until they get to the register before even considering the menu. smiley - steam

Post 10

paulh. the world is a circus, but why d I have to work without a net?

I try to eat at a different place each time I eat out. I've sampled several items at each place before zeroing in on something I especially like.

So, going to cafe X means eating option Y. Or, I could try something different that's new since I tried the range of options.

But if I'm eating at someplace new? I'm just as undecided as you are. smiley - smiley

Post 11

Orcus

Eating at a different place each time depends very much on where you work/live. I'd love there to be a bazillion places to eat in easy walking range but there isn't.

Also, working at a university, it's very right-on - so (with nods to Subway excluded, yes I resort to them sometimes) - the student union eateries are all vegany, smoothie, falafelly - which is OK occasionally, but I am an unrepentant omnivore and so they generally don't float my boat often enough. So I am left with Subway, the Co-Op store on campus and the university refectory most of the time.

Post 12

Bluebottle

The trouble with Subway is that they're a shop that sells salad sandwiches with a plethora of sauces for a salad sandwich except the ONE sauce actually you want in a salad sandwich, which is salad cream.

<BB<

Post 13

Baron Grim

The trouble with Subway is they're crap!

The last time I went to one, and I do mean the LAST time, I thought I'd see how they did with a simple breakfast sandwich, having pretty much written them off for their normal fare. When I saw the "sandwich maker" retrieve two pancake shaped, individually wrapped, scrambled egg.. thingies I should have walked out right then. Once I got home, I took a bite... and immediately threw the rest in the trash. smiley - yuksmiley - illsmiley - dragon

When you have a food business based on not actually letting the store staff actually, you know, cook anything outside of a microwave oven... well, you're not exactly aiming for excellence.

Post 14

Orcus

Their triple Italian (BMT?) thingy is OK. But mostly it's slop I agree.

Post 15

Baron Grim

Not compared to a similar sandwich at a proper sandwich shop. There's a place near my work called Antonini's. One of their Italian club sandwiches could beat up every sandwich on Subway's menu with one pepperoni tied behind its back.

Post 16

"the ONE sauce actually you want in a salad sandwich, which is salad cream." [Bluebottle]

I never expect salad cream, because no place offers it in my area. What they do have is mayonnaise, which I like.

If you've ever been to Charing Cross, Piccadilly, or Covent Garden, you could try Caffe Nero, which has some of my favorite sandwiches (yes, we have Caffe Nero in Dedham, Mass.) The Turkey club sandwich has mayonnaise, and the sandwich is excellent. I also like their breakfast sandwich with bacon.

Post 17

"The trouble with Subway is they're crap!" [Baron Grim]

There were 42,431 Subway outlets in 2018, up from 26,982 in 2016. At that rate of growth, they'll be the world's largest fast food franchise by.....wait a minute, they already *are* the world's largest fast food franchise smiley - doh.

This is apparently an example of what you get when you're appealing to the lowest common denominator. People like my late father thought Subway was okay when the other options weren't available. He lived out in the country, and sometimes it was convenient to eat somewhere close to home, which Subway was.

Post 18

Baron Grim

They use to be better.

Post 19

Maybe twenty years from now, some of us will look back and remember when they were *worse.* smiley - winkeye

Post 20

Baron Grim

But seriously though... those "eggs"... shudder...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more