A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 21

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I sometimes hear Brunel and think it's a nickname for she who defied Wotan for love of a hapless mortal. Wagner was a dreary man who thought being long winded was an advantage, but Brunhilde rose above the whole mess. smiley - smiley Thank goodness!

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 22

You can call me TC

Brunel is the one with the rivets. Perhaps he should lend a few to Pliny.

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 23

You can call me TC

I went all the way this time and looked at the Pliny front page.

- The section "Peer Review" says "Sorry this forum is not available"

- None of the links work

There also seem to be a few things missing, but I don't look at the page often enough to guess what they could be.

So I went to look at the front page in Goo. The links work! Unlike the phenomenon mentioned a few posts up.

So now I can find out all I ever wanted to know about Brian Blessed. Not sure if that's any comfort.

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 24

You can call me TC

Just had another look at the Ripley front page for the hell of it.

Still Brian Blessed.

And I found a link to this page of advice for new researchers: A868098

Just saying.

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 25

AdamThePhantump

Plain is still around in your preferences. But I do echo what others are saying about Pliny having issues. Red leaf errors everywhere but front page on that skin.

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 26

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi TC.

The Front Page link in Goo, Plain and Alabaster now brings you to the Front Page for 19/02/2004, with an entry about Brian Blessed on it.

My theory is that the system is getting confused about dates.

It's looking at the current date 21/02/2019 and somehow getting 19/02/2004. Notice how both dates have 19, 20 and 02 in them.

If this is actually the case and the system hasn't been fixed by May, we should see the front page for 19/02/2005, whatever that is. (Could find out, but it would take 10 minutes of trawling).

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 27

Gnomon - time to move on

There wasn't a Front Page published on 19/02/2005 so it must have been a Saturday.

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 28

If there's a front page, shouldn't there also be a back page?

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 29

Baron Grim

No! smiley - yikes

("Back Page" was an advertising service appearing in alternative papers in many US cities. It was notorious for advertising shady services, the worst of which involved human trafficking.)

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 30

Gnomon - time to move on

Well there is the Last Page:

A541928

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 31

Bluebottle

smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnoteAh, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
- 'My Back Pages', Bob Dylan

<BB<

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 32

Icy North

There’s also 57 volumes of appendices...

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 33

Is there a surgeon handy for an appendectomy?

smiley - winkeye

smiley - run

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 34

Gnomon - time to move on

I want my appendix removed and published in a separate volume.

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 35

Gnomon - time to move on

I seem to have been struck by typitis when I expounded my date theory above. There are various 02s which should be 04s.

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 36

Gnomon - time to move on

Hey TC!

Can you remember what was on the Front Page that prompted your original posting on March 6th? You've given a link to a screenshot but this has expired and doesn't work any more.

I'd like to find out exactly which page was being displayed in the hope that it throws some light on what's wrong.

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 37

smiley - lurk

smiley - bigeyes

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 38

You can call me TC

Good question, Gnomon. I will try and remember, but it escapes me at the moment. I think it was a very old one.

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 39

SashaQ - happysad

I saw it at the time - it was the Front Page for 21 June, 2011 and the links were F77636?thread=8244180 and F77636?thread=8243991

I vaguely recall there were also links to Entries about Paul the Psychic Octopus and St John the Baptist, but I may be misremembering... A85247003

I hope that helps, but I suspect not, given that the Brian Blessed Front Page didn't change on 1 May... smiley - goodlucksmiley - petunias

The H2G2 logo, top left

Post 40

Gnomon - time to move on

There were two Front Pages published on 21-Jun-2011, the second probably being just a minor edit of the first (I haven't checked):

A85793007
A85803663

Both of these will display as blank because they are "Front Page format" and you need a special viewer (which I haven't got). You can see the content using the Test feature and it reveals:

Arabian Horses: Drinkers of the Wind - Adored by Mohammed and Alexander the Great, the Arabian horse commands huge respect being one of the oldest and purest breeds

Avvakum Petrovich: Russian Priest and Martyr (1620-1682) - Petrovich became one of the central figures in the 17th Century schism of the Russian Orthodox Church

Wolvesey Castle, Winchester, Hampshire, UK - Home to the Bishops of Winchester for over a thousand years, Wolvesey Castle today comprises the remains of a fortified palace

Does that look right?

Key: Complain about this post