A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Seasonal Songs

Post 41

Baron Grim

Heck, apparently there's a big difference between the US and the UK, apparently about 3 decades.

Seasonal Songs

Post 42

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Even some of the traditional Christmas hymns familiar in both places have different settings of common lyrics. "Away in a manger" is set to at least three different tunes. "In the bleak midwinter" and "O Little town of Bethlehem" have different tunes in different places.

I just came from a church choir rehearsal (the church that furnishes rehearsal space for my choral society asks us to provide some extra singers for the church's "musical Sundays" in December and May). "Gesu Bambino" and one of John Rutter's many modern Christmas songs are on the program, along with "Carol of the bells" and some hymns from the hymnal.

John Rutter's music always sounds glorious in the recordings he makes. They don't sound as great when an amateur choir sings them, but those are the breaks! smiley - smiley

Seasonal Songs

Post 43

Bluebottle

In the UK the Christmas number one is the most important, and hotly contested, single of the year. This year's winner has just been announced and you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iEB8bfP7wE

<BB<

Seasonal Songs

Post 44

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I never sausage a silly video. smiley - tongueout

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more