A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How many Leave voters are already dead? And how long before Remainers outnumber them?

Post 81

Maria

Actual racists versus recent racists or non racist voters of Trump (or Brexit, or any other fascist/rascist version around the world), are different because the former started to suck hatred and lack of empathy many years ago, the latter, recently.
The more they suck fascism the sooner they will stop denying they are fascist and will attend rallies of the KKK, flag symbols, etc.
And we see this is trendy and not punished.

I think of the non racist/fascist northamericans.
Let´s take a current example: the caravan of migrants. The non fascist voters of Trump ignore the history of Guatemala and Honduras and the reasons behind the caravan.
If they knew the direct role of US in the political mess of those countries, and could also see and listen to the personal stories of those people, then , empathy and knowledge will be a shield against fear and hatred induced by manipulation and ignorance.

If you move to Brexit voters, we´ll find different kinds of voters too. Some of them have realised the lies and have changed their opinion. Other are dreaming of making Britain Empire great again...

I can go on with spaniards, if some of them weren´t so ignorant of our own history, the fear and hatred, delivered from many sources ,wouldn´t take roots.

It´s not just about our own history, it´s also about being willing to get well informed about what´s going on in the whole world.
The refugees, for instance, where´s the problem? Many politicians have used fear and lies to make people think that there´s a crisis, a problem Europe can´t solve, etc.

How many Leave voters are already dead? And how long before Remainers outnumber them?

Post 82

paulh, not fond of Lord Mudpants

"Let´s take a current example: the caravan of migrants. The non fascist voters of Trump ignore the history of Guatemala and Honduras and the reasons behind the caravan. If they knew the direct role of US in the political mess of those countries, and could also see and listen to the personal stories of those people, then , empathy and knowledge will be a shield against fear and hatred induced by manipulation and ignorance. [Maria]

You've put that very well, Maria. smiley - smiley

A little knowledge of American history would help, too. California, Arizona, Texas, and some other parts of the Southwest used to be part of Mexico, before the Mexican War (1846-1848). I expect that there are descendants of Mexican subjects living throughout that area. On some level, I would expect that people from south of the current U.S. border ought to be treated with respect. That border used to be hundreds of miles further north.

True, I think that *everyone* deserves respect, but Mexicans in particular. Trump's hardliners go on about undocumented people being here "illegally", without considering the special history of the region. smiley - sadface

Post 83

Baron Grim

They're Olympian level pros at cognitive dissonance. They think in slogans. Their brains are squeaky clean.

Post 84

It took a lot of work for the Democrats to pick up seats in the House. It will take hard work to keep the seats, let alone pick up more. smiley - sigh

I have to keep reminding myself that regression to the mean is real and always at work. After going *above* the mean with Obama, we've gone below it with Trump. Time will hopefully find some kind of balance. Maybe I will live long enough to see it happen. smiley - smiley

Post 85

Orcus

Well Keith Chegwin has gone - that's one down smiley - winkeye

Post 86

Are you sure the report of his demise isn't fake news? smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more