A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Visiting New Zealand

Post 1

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

My family and I are thinking about visiting New Zealand for Christmas break for about two weeks. Being sci fi and fantasy fans, we'd like to see some of the sites from the Lord of the Rings. I've read about some other sites,but we're looking for insights for this potentially once in a lifetime opportunity.

At first, we were thinking of a cruise, but I don't think we can make it work between school schedules and my leave balance. My latest thinking is to fly into Auckland and drive from there. I looked at one possible driving tour. We're open to other options.

smiley - 2cents

Visiting New Zealand

Post 2

You can call me TC

I have no experience of this, but do have a great time.

Genning up and planning is very important, especially as you're going somewhere so far away, so expensive, and only once in your lifetime. There are probably loads of travel blogs to plough through with various bits of information to be gleaned from each.

Leave no stone unturned: do read up as much as you can. See if you can locate ReddyFreddy - previously of this parish - who emigrated to Christchurch. I think he started a blog, too.

Visiting New Zealand

Post 3

Bald Bloke

Pastey went out there for a trip a few years ago, I've pinged him on Twitter with a link to the tread.

Visiting New Zealand

Post 4

Pastey

Hello!

Finally got my password reset!

We flew into Awkland, stayed a couple of nights in the Juicy Hotel (it's cheap but good) and then rented a camper from them for a couple of weeks and drove pretty much all over. Highly recommend it, depending on your lifestyle.
One thing to remember though, the whole "free camping" thing in NZ doesn't exist any more. There were too many tourists not cleaning up after themselves, so the government banned it to keep the country clean. There's loads of campsites though, and it's not expensive.
NZ is a lot like the UK was 30 years ago, but also a lot like it is now. You'll see cliff side roadworks with blokes with Stop/Go signs and an occasional hard hat, alongside some seriously comfortable bars and restaurants.

If you're wanting anything particular like the LotR stuff, you'll likely have to book *well* in advance.
We just didn't bother, and enjoyed the scenery and breweries instead.

Visiting New Zealand

Post 5

Baron Grim

Hey, Pastey.

If a 20th Anniversary Meetup doesn't happen, (as I'm strongly doubting it will), I may just have to drop by Manchester on my way to Scotland again this Summer. If I do, I'll let you know. I've GOT to get a skinful of your beer.

Visiting New Zealand

Post 6

Pastey

Ooh, is it the 20th next year?! It will be actually won't it!

Is anyone looking at organising a meet up, I'm more than happy to host it at my place here.

Visiting New Zealand

Post 7

Baron Grim

There was some talk of having a Nodnol meetup, but I don't think anyone took the reins.

F21546918?thread=8319937

Visiting New Zealand

Post 8

Bald Bloke

BG what dates are you planning to be over, I'm sure some kind of London Meet can happen, not sure how many will come, FS U235886 has booked a hotel 26th April to 1st May So a meet up on Sat 27th and / or Sun 28th is probable...

Visiting New Zealand

Post 9

Baron Grim

I have no solid plans at the moment, I'm waiting to see what's in the plans. If no real plans get made, I'll go to Manchester and Scotland like I did 4 years ago.

Visiting New Zealand

Post 10

Pastey

Come to Manchester anyway! I *do* own a brewery and tap now smiley - winkeye

Visiting New Zealand

Post 11

Baron Grim

Oh, I definitely will. If there is a London meet I'll stop in Manchester for a few days then continue on to Scotland.

Visiting New Zealand

Post 12

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I should've brought a shovel to help with topic drift. smiley - tongueout

smiley - snowball

Visiting New Zealand

Post 13

Baron Grim

smiley - sorrysmiley - doh

Visiting New Zealand

Post 14

Superfrenchie

There will indeed be a London Meet-up on the anniversary week-end. The main event will therefore be on April 27th. The rest of the details is being worked on as we type (or pretty much). smiley - biggrin

Visiting New Zealand

Post 15

Baron Grim

Groovy!

I'll start making my plans as well.

Visiting New Zealand

Post 16

Baron Grim

OOPS...

There we go again.

smiley - offtopic

So now we return you to your regularly scheduled New Zealand discussion.

Visiting New Zealand

Post 17

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

Our Christmas break vacation failed. We're going to try for it sometime this winter in June or July.

smiley - 2cents

Visiting New Zealand

Post 18

z

We went there a couple of years ago.

Flew to Aukland, hired a car, and drove to Wellington, then took the ferry to south island. Down the West Coast (amazing) and over to Queenstown. Visited the Glaicer then Doubtful sound. Up to Christchurch and Kaikoa to go whalewatching. Not forgetting the penguines at Otago Penisular in Dunedin.

Back to the North Island where we went to Rotarua to see the Maori village and the geysers. And back to Aukland.

Exhausting, but worth it!

Visiting New Zealand

Post 19

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Long time no see, Z.

Did you enjoy the holidays?

Visiting New Zealand

Post 20

z

Oh yes. I hate relaxing on holiday. I consider it a waste of time. I prefer to do at least 3 things a day. I would never go on holiday and sit by a pool or read a book. I can do that at home. I did get through at least 2 audio books with the driving though.

Ben was shattered though.. but she had just lost her brother, so perhaps not the wisest choice of mad road trip.

Key: Complain about this post