A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Skins

Post 1

The lost

Do you have a preference? Something's no longer work in alabaster or goo, if you're new to hootoo you're probably wondering what I'm banging on about. This new skin takes some getting used to and I'm finding it difficult to keep track of conversations although that could just be an age thing smiley - winkeye

Skins

Post 2

Baron Grim

Oh, you're stirring up a hornets nest now! smiley - laugh

I still prefer Brunel, not for its aesthetics, but for its functionality.

I got a brief glimpse of a couple of new skins that were being worked on 4 years ago, (including a Steampunk skin I definitely would have liked) but apparently nearly all improvements have been abandoned since then. As far as I can tell, the few volunteers left doing structural work here are only doing maintenance. All the active skins have issues. I switch back to Pliny for some tasks that don't work in Brunel. since they told us to stop giving bug reports, I haven't seen any improvements.

Skins

Post 3

paulh, not fond of Lord Mudpants

I didn't know we were told to stop giving bug reports.

I also didn't know that some tasks don't work in Alabaster or Brunel.

I think I'll go polish my prairie schooner smiley - senior.

Skins

Post 4

The lost

Yes the "who's on line" button doesn't work. A right blow for someone like me who's extremely nosey

Skins

Post 5

I haven't cared about who's on line for at least five years. I'll take my chances....

Skins

Post 6

Bluebottle

I use Goo – the original and the best.
Alas tables don't work in new-fangled Pliny…

<BB<

Skins

Post 7

The lost

Ah ah!! I take it all back who's on line works in Brunel.

BB I like goo too. Pliny I really can't get on with. Brunel is OK but doesn't tell you the title of your conversation on your home page

Skins

Post 8

Baron Grim

Nah, Who's Online is quite borked. You don't really believe that nighthoover, AlsoRan80, and Lord Wolfden are all currently online do you?

It shows anyone who's page has been accessed recently as being currently online.

Skins

Post 9

You can call me TC

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Goo. Don't know why they ever bothered with any of the new-fangled ones. Alabaster is OK, but Brunel?

Skins

Post 10

Baron Grim

If I could use the "My Conversations" pop-up thingy in Goo, I'd still be using Goo. Aesthetically it is my favorite.

(I also liked Alabaster, Plain, and DNA occasionally back in the day as well.)

Skins

Post 11

Rev Nick - give me poutine, or give me death

I have stayed with Brunel as it was what I met in '04 and am familiar with. The "Who's On-Line" is not entirely correct as I see the names of people who have left the place more than 5 years ago. But the old link of "Info" still brings up most recent conversations.

Skins

Post 12

The lost

I basically use the who's online because it's the equivalent of curtain twitching for me smiley - tongueout What can I say I'm nosey and like to see who people are. And what better way than wondering into their personal space. Cor blimey I sound like a stalker smiley - yikes

Skins

Post 13

Baron Grim

About the most handy thing that Pliny has for it is the list of most recent posts on the main page. That's sometimes handy to see who's been about here recently.

Skins

Post 14

The lost

Yes I check that too.

Sorry Paul that's how I've landed in the middle of your journals smiley - blush

Skins

Post 15

The lost

Looking at Pliny I can't see a journal option

Skins

Post 16

"Sorry Paul that's how I've landed in the middle of your journals" [he Lost]

I'm totally delighted to have you reading my journals. H2g2 is all about people connecting with each other. Well, technically it's about writing guide entries or helping in Peer Review. smiley - blush

I compromise by reading the Post regularly. If that works for me long enough, I'll consider the other parts too.

Skins

Post 17

Pink Paisley

Still in Alabaster.

PP.

Skins

Post 18

Orcus

Never used anything other than Goo for more than a day or so. Set in my ways smiley - winkeye

Skins

Post 19

The only part of Goo that makes me hesitate is the name. smiley - smiley

Skins

Post 20

Baron Grim

Well, that's just its nickname.

Like the nickname for Pliny is smiley - bleep.

Key: Complain about this post