A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Fitbit vs Jawbone

Post 1

Teasswill

I'm considering buying a fitness tracker. It has to be one that will clip on as I can't wear a wristband at work and usually don't have a suitable pocket (unless a bra comes into that category?).

Also needs to be Apple compatible.

So far Fitbit One or Jawbone up move seem closest to what I want. Anyone any experience of either? Or any other recommendations?

Fitbit vs Jawbone

Post 2

Vip

Sadly nothing on clip on ones, although so far the step counter on my new FitBit Charge 2 (thanks Mr Vip smiley - blush) records a bunch more steps than my old Microsoft Band. I don't know if the clip on Fitbit would have the same problem but it's bugging me a lot at the moment. If anyone has any advice I too would appreciate it.

smiley - fairy

Fitbit vs Jawbone

Post 3

Teasswill

I'm now looking at the Fitbit Charge 2 or Jawbone up3 - thinking it's maybe worth getting something that records more than steps. I guess I could get a strap extension to use on upper arm, or wear on ankle when I can't use wrist.

Fitbit vs Jawbone

Post 4

z

I use the fit bit surge which I clip onto a belt loop when I'm seeing patients and take off at the end of the day. It seems to work ok.

Went walking at the weekend and everyone was very impressed when my watch gave me a print out of the entire walk.

Fitbit vs Jawbone

Post 5

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I've been thinking of the fitbit charge Hr (I think its called), as it seems to get good reviews on accessibility, plus does things like the heart rate, and monitoring sleep stuff.... no idea how they work though, would it even register my steps if I've got it on my left wrist (which is the hand holding William's arm as he guides me, ), or on my right arm, which holds my white cane ... smiley - erm would be easier if I could wear on my left wrist, as that doesn't already have a watch on it, just medical alert bracelet things smiley - ermsmiley - doh

Fitbit vs Jawbone

Post 6

Vip

After reducing my height by 20cm it seems to have chilled out a bit and seems to be giving slightly more accurate step counts, so although it was a bit frustrating to spend ages reading up on various fora it does seem to be working more tolerably now.

It does register steps by arm movement so although you would get some it would be a bit reduced. The clip on one like Z's might be a better fit for you, 2legs. Although I suppose no heart rate or sleep tracking...

smiley - fairy

Fitbit vs Jawbone

Post 7

Teasswill

Using arm movement seems a bit silly - if you were carrying something your arms wouldn't swing in the same way. Also I read that someone doing the washing up was recorded as lots of steps.
That's partly why I thought of getting one that records more different data. Even if the heart rate monitor is not as accurate as a chest strap, I think that might be a more useful indicator of activity than just step counting.

Fitbit vs Jawbone

Post 8

Icy North

Call me a heretic, but can't you just count how many miles you run, or failing that, time yourself?

Fitbit vs Jawbone

Post 9

Teasswill

Well yes, I think if you're already doing regular activity of that type, you don't really need to measure it. You can tell if your heart rate is up etc.
I'm more interested in how my daily activity measures up & how much extra/ what sort would be beneficial for me. My fitness activities tend to be a bit random & varied!

Fitbit vs Jawbone

Post 10

Vip

I don't get to exercise much - my body can't take much beyond moderate walking, sadly - but this way I can set gentle goals that I can do over the course of a day.

Plus it gives me shiny graphs, and, despite feeling like that's a childish thing, it really does motivate me to take the long-cut home, or take the stairs instead of the lift. Back when I was running, before my knee gave out, I definitely ran more often when I had a shiny graph to motivate me to keep up with a schedule.

I also know than when my old Band gave out, the amount I walked dropped. I only realised now I've got the new doodad.

smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post