A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What will supper be?

Post 861

Rev Nick - give me poutine, or give me death

A little smiley - offtopic . . . . .

Over the last 25 years or so, I have made quite a lot of beef jerky. From freezer burned steaks to high-quality roasts, even a heart once*. There was also one attempt with pork loin, several times with moose, and a fair number of times of venison. The latter usually chops from the previous seasonal hunt.

I feel adventurous and want to try another part of the bovine. Has anyone any ideas for skinning tongue without any cooking involved? Simmered for a time, the process is easy, but any partial cooking would defeat the dehydrator to a degree. The only suggestion that I have found that does not involve heat is to shave it while frozen. For that, I might try a common hand-held vegetable peeler.

* the heart was very tasty, but not much chew-factor. And a consumer was very quickly disinclined to have more once he learned of the source.

What will supper be?

Post 862

Carrying on with that last - surface trimming wasn't too difficult when frozen. But the subsequent slicing once thawed was a real annoyance. Fully raw, it has the pliability of liver. And a lot of throw-away stuff. Even after the first 11 hours in the dehydrator, more that half has an amazing amount of fat. Beef fat in a jerky is not a desirable thing, certainly not in notable quantities.

How-ever, supper last evening was nice. A pair of ladies cook much fast-food stuff, but also a proper plate and a soup each night of the Men's Dart League. Last evening was a pretty fair roast pork, mashed potatoes, gravy and peas. For a price that is somewhat less than 2 simple commercial coffees.

What will supper be?

Post 863

paulh, not fond of Lord Mudpants

lst bnight I bought ome chicken legs and used them to make minestrone

What will supper be?

Post 864

I have a generous chicken breast - boneless - that I baked several weeks ago, and it is pretty much thawed out. I may thaw some mixed veggies, corn and peas and carrots and green beans. And I have a good sized box of brown, long grain rice.

I'm thinking of preparing the rice, slicing the chicken, maybe chop a bit of onion, then putting it all together in a casserole dish and a low oven for a time. Full dinner in one container.

What will supper be?

Post 865

paulh, not fond of Lord Mudpants

Will that make one meal for you, or more than one?

What will supper be?

Post 866

The two of us will probably get two good meals, and then one or two dishes to freeze for quick lunch ideas.

What will supper be?

Post 867

ITIWBS

Baked potato, cut into bite sized bits, doused with olive oil, sprinkled with bbq spice, buried in 2 oz. sauerkraut and 1 oz. sliced franks, drowned in 12 oz. cut green beans with the broth, soda crackers on the side.

Key: Complain about this post

What will supper be?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more