A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What will supper be?

Post 941

Rev Nick - give me poutine, or give me death

St Valentine's Day found me with several engagements. So in order to give my bride something "red" for the day.she came home to some still warm, fresh cooked lobsters . . .

Friday is a belated dinner for the occasion: breaded and deep fried shrimps and scallops, hand cut french fries, and coleslaw. All fresh prepared in our kitchen.

For Saturday, we will have left-over lobster meats, large shrimps, scallops, and perhaps a tin of baby clams and a bottle of clam juice. With cream, seasonings, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions . . . Nothing like a filling seafood chowder. From scratch, of course.

What will supper be?

Post 942

paulh. I write captions for pictures of cats. The shame! The shame!

I'm drooling just reading about it. smiley - smiley

What will supper be?

Post 943

The fry-up was excellent in all reguards.

And I forgot to mention that both Friday and Saturday's menus include fresh garlic well pulverized and whipped into butter with a bit of parsley flakes and oregano - thick smeared over sliced bread buns and baked to golden browned.

What will supper be?

Post 944

Your description was so vivid, I could imagine biting into the crispy slices of bread. smiley - drool

What will supper be?

Post 945

That chowder turned out freaking awesome. I will be hard-pressed to top it.

How-ever, not really meaning to have developed a trend - - - the Monday forecast is for more seafood. A confluence of pretty fresh oil in the deep fryer, a simple but fabulous batter recipe at hand, and a generous tray of cod smiley - fishsmiley - hsif in our freezer portends a fine load of fish'n'chips.

What will supper be?

Post 946

ITIWBS

Chile rellano stuffed with quesadila cheese, fried in egg batter, refried pinto beans topped with cheddar cheese, Spanish rice, deep fried chicken breast, hot chile salsa, sour cream, guacamole.

What will supper be?

Post 947

probably chicken noodle soup.

What will supper be?

Post 948

Tuesday had us with a very busy day of meetings of our Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. So I pulled together an early supper.

Two slices of a cured ham (with honey imbue), lightly seared. Two eggs each, fried 'over easy'. Buttered toast.

And with some still fresh deep fry oil - I dipped and breaded a number of cremini mushrooms, and fried them up to crispy.

What will supper be?

Post 949

Supper tonight will be chicken pasta fazool. It's based on a recipe for pork pasta fazool.

What will supper be?

Post 950

Isn't a fazool a child's whistle thing? I will have to check Google

What will supper be?

Post 951

ITIWBS

Chicken and dumpling stew with macadamia nuts for dessert.

What will supper be?

Post 952

A really, super lazy Friday. A 12" pizza (1 side my choices, 1 side hers), some garlic bread with melty cheese and a Caesar salad to share. All delivered. I did say lazy.

What will supper be?

Post 953

Tonight's supper will be paella.

What will supper be?

Post 954

ITIWBS

My own home made clam dip and potato chips for a starter, 8 oz baby clams, 2/3 cup sour cream, 3 heaping tbsp olive oil mayonaisse, 1 tbsp Rumford's baking powder (an all organic baking powder made with cream of tartar rather than aluminum sulphate and without added sodium).

Mix all ingredients thouroughly, microwave on high six minutes covered with a paper towel to prevent sputtering.

Stir and mix again, microwave another three minutes.

Allow to cool and gel.

Spice to taste. (Suggested, liberal basil and a little dill powder.)

Serve with chips of your choice, whether corn, potato or pretzels, etc..

What will supper be?

Post 955

Saturday supper was a very satisfying beef stroganoff, built entirely by guess and by golly.

What will supper be?

Post 956

If contestants on "Top chef" can cope with random exigencies, I expect that your creative efforts will pay off handsomely. smiley - ok

What will supper be?

Post 957

I lean towards "MasterChef - Canada". And even there, I would wash out in no time. But I enjoy the experimenting in a kitchen. smiley - biggrin

What will supper be?

Post 958

You have a lot more control in your kitchen. And, you aren't required to satisfy judges, who are known to be persnickety.

What will supper be?

Post 959

*** WARNING - This post involves beef offal ***

In my growing years, the family of 8 would often have an entire bovine slain for our consumption. While my parents quite liked liver, the prize meat for all was the heart and the tongue. How-ever - there isn't a lot there to feed that many. The common use was to cook, clean and slice, and then pickle the meats. A very tasty cold snack.

I once found that beef heart makes a very tasty form of jerky. Nowhere near the fibre for chew as main body meats, but so full of flavour.

In the near future, I may have a very fresh "life pump" at my disposal. I am thinking of two uses, both described above.

What will supper be?

Post 960

I used to enjoy tongue sandwiches.

Key: Complain about this post

What will supper be?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more