A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What will supper be?

Post 901

paulh. I write captions for pictures of cats. The shame! The shame!

I will make something with noodles for supper today. Probably there will also be chicken. I haven't picked out the recipe yet, though.

What will supper be?

Post 902

Rev Nick - give me poutine, or give me death

Saturday supper was so very simple, and yet extremely tasty and satisfying. Mashed potatoes with a little garlic and black pepper. Commercial baked beans with sliced wieners (frankfurters) and the meat reclaimed from 4 good sized pork ribs*. And well buttered toast, with icy cold <milk) to accompany it all.

* The ribs had been slow baked in a honey & garlic glaze a few months ago, with left-overs frozen.

What will supper be?

Post 903

What I ended up making was a fusion of chicken cacciatore and spaghetti with green beans. I think it's the white wine that makes the dish come together so nicely.smiley - drool

What will supper be?

Post 904

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Tonight, is quite a mix up..... of foods...

It'll basically end up as masarla dal aloo ghobi....

I made the aloo ghobi two nights back, and we got a good four portions from it... - leaving a single portion... so going to plump it up with red split lentals, and probably a few extra mushrooms fried up with some garlic and garum masala spice, plus cinnamon, which will go into the remainder of the potato cauliflower curry, and hopefuly be both enough for tonight, for us both, plus taste sufficiently different to be.... well, different smiley - ermsmiley - chef - shall have to go out tomorrow and buy something to cook for then probably...

What will supper be?

Post 905

The massala aloo ghobi dal last night was fabulus smiley - drool purely by chance smiley - weird first time had any lentals for ages and ages smiley - erm

Tonight, by coincidence is also vegatarian, although not vegan this time... baked cauliflower soup, with stilton (to use up some of the vas amount of Christmas Stilton we still have in). with roasted garlic, onion, cauliflower, a bit of potato, white pepper, salt, and the Stilton... and stock smiley - drool followed, most likely by a half dozen or more smiley - ale s at the pub until the early hours smiley - discosmiley - divasmiley - drunk

What will supper be?

Post 906

Wednesday, we each went our own ways - sorta . . .

She made a fabulous beef, barley and vegetable soup. ( I do most of the chop and cut, she sets times, temperatures and seasonings )

I made a crock-pot stew of left-over sirloin steak, baked potatoes and a large measure of Cremini mushrooms and Spanish onions. All cooked from supper the night before. And added celery, carrots, garlic, seasonings . . .

Both were very very good.

What will supper be?

Post 907

Steak goes very well with mushrooms and onions smiley - drool.

What will supper be?

Post 908

Last night was chicken, cauliflower, red pepper, onion etc., etc., stew/spicey curry... more middle East than Indian...
Tonight, is... the same... as is tomorrow night, and possibly the next night too; I love the new giant stock pot for stews/curries smiley - drool

What will supper be?

Post 909

I will likely have chicken tonight as well.

What will supper be?

Post 910

We have a Legion meeting this evening at 6 PM, and then she has another at 7 PM. So we are prepared for a simple supper.

- potato salad, my way. (shredded potatoes, not boring cubes)

- pasta salad, with tinned tuna. Also a little fine shredded 6-yr-old cheddar cheese

- slices of cooked ham, roast turkey breast and bologna - rolled and cut to 2-bite measures

- cherry tomatoes for me, small fresh cucuumbers for her

And of course, icy smiley - milk

Call it a summer picnic supper in January. smiley - smiley

What will supper be?

Post 911

Winter picnics should be every bit as enjoyable as summer ones ok>.

Tonight's supper will be the last serving of turkey cassoulet, but tomorrow night I will probably make something with beef and macaroni.

What will supper be?

Post 912

Not exactly "supper" related, but I tried my hand at some food stuff this morning. The end result is 4 x 750 ml jars of pickled eggs in a fridge, and 3 x 750 ml pickled wieners (frankfurters) in the same fridge.

What will supper be?

Post 913

All you need is some German potato salad for a picnic meal. smiley - smiley

What will supper be?

Post 914

Yeah, growing up in a village of all German ancestry - I've had it. I don't like the coarse cubed as seasonings and flavours really don't go through and through. That's why I grate the boiled spuds.

What will supper be?

Post 915

You have my sympathy. My sister-in-law is Pennsylvania Deutsche, and she rarely forgets to serve German potato salad....

I rather like Italian, Mexican, and Indian recipes, but there aren't many German ones I like to cook.

What will supper be?

Post 916

I quite like a number of the old recipes. First to mind is pork schnitzel with sauerkrat and fried potatoes. smiley - drool

What will supper be?

Post 917

The few German recipes I like are Choucroute and Smoked Pork Collins. Both call for potatoes and cabbage.

What will supper be?

Post 918

Saturday supper was our common baked salmon fillet, a mushroom fried rice dish and peas.

Sunday will be pork schnitzel, German fried potatoes, more of the peas and some peaches'n'cream corn.

Now a query - do people actually buy these burgers that are shown on TV? Begin with a 3/8" bun, 1/4" of desiccated ground beef, thin slips of bacon, plastic cheese, 1/4 lb of lettuce, a thick slice of tomato, crispy fried onions, a few slips of vile pickles, a special mayo and stuff sauce, and then the top of the bun. In theory*, this could make a stack of over 3" - of which 45% is bread and perhaps 8% of the stack is meat. Some may call this a "burger", but if I bought a ham sandwich that is barely 8% ham . . . it would be returned very quickly.

* In theory, 3" tall - in reality, about 1.75" if you are lucky.

What will supper be?

Post 919

I haven't bought one of *those* burgers in at least a decade, maybe two. Instead, when I feel like having a burger, I do it right. A local restaurant has what they call a "power play" burger, with a patty of ground meat (you can choose beef, turkey, ham, or veggieburger), a fried egg, cheese, avocado, lettuce and tomato. I always have it on a whole wheat bun. The meat is organic and locally sourced.

What will supper be?

Post 920

The schnitzel didn't happen Sunday - neither of us were up to it. It did happen on Monday with a small change. The pork became chicken . . .

I was sure that I had some pork in the house, but was proven to be in error. So a 2-lb boneless chicken breast came to the rescue. And it was mighty good. smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

What will supper be?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more