A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What will supper be?

Post 881

paulh. I write captions for pictures of cats. The shame! The shame!

Another serving of chicken picadillo.

What will supper be?

Post 882

ITIWBS

Yesterday's hash, with a handful each of peanuts and pumpkin seeds and an ounce of sauerkraut for extra zing.

Tomorrow the same, without the sauerkraut, but a pint of fluffy white rice and soy sauce.

What will supper be?

Post 883

Rev Nick - give me poutine, or give me death

Today's shrimp were called "wild" and a product of Mexico. There were also Pacific shrimp, but I generally find Pacific sea foods very strong of flavour - too strong for my liking. "Easy to peel" was a blatant lie, but the end result was very tasty and a really satisfying crunch of the breading. 17 items, no tail, and 3 to 4 bites each.

And it has been quite a while since I have had a really good sauerkraut. Mrs Rev won't touch the stuff, and though I assisted with atleast a dozen of good batches as a youth - - - far too much material and effort for just one person with an occasional taste and want.

What will supper be?

Post 884

I haven't narrowed down tonight's menu yet, but whatever it is, there will be elbow macaroni and turkey meatballs in it.

What will supper be?

Post 885

Sunday evening was a pot-luck dinner for the Mrs Rev and her church choir. She organizes one each year. I was too weak of limb to attend, but for their benefit . . .

A nice dish of cubed potatoes cooked in the deep fryer and lightly seasoned. Not one cube came home.

A crock-pot of home and from scratch baked beans. The bacon quality, and the molasses (or treacle) really add depth. A couple of cloves of fine chopped garlic and a few splashes of hickory liquid smoke were the clincher. Barely one serving came back.

She provided about 30 mini cupcakes, different flavours and frostings. Not one of those survived either.

What will supper be?

Post 886

I will still be eating portions of the turkey meatballs and macaroni.

(Sorry, my life is kind of boring)

What will supper be?

Post 887

My previous visit to the butcher shop provided a 1-lb package of ground veal. And I have about 1/4 lb of bratwurst sausage meat. I was thinking meatballs, but am too lazy. Simple burgers, I think.

What will supper be?

Post 888

I had a "Power Play" Burger at B. Good for lunch. It consists of a hamburger patty, some avocado, some bacon, a fried egg, cheese, and whole wheat bread.

What will supper be?

Post 889

Not sure about the avacado, but all else sounds pretty good. My burgers were tender, moist, cooked to full-done and gosh darned tasty.

There is a catered company Christmas dinner on Saturday, and while the menu does not really appeal to me - I keep an open mind and hopes. So today and tomorrow will be the process of a fresh batch of beef jerky, while pondering what I might do for a Sunday supper.

What will supper be?

Post 890

Christmas early - easy bake cinnamon rolls, and hot chocolate

Brunch - defrost, peel, cube and fry up a baked potato with some onions. Fry off some strip bacon. And proper done eggs Benedict. With OJ and/or tomato juice.

Supper - 6-lb chicken, roasted. Mashers. Carrots. Turnip. Bread dressing. All preceded by - a shrimp ring with zingy cocktail sauce, 2 types of cheeses and crackers, and a small Caesar salad. A simple apple crumble, low heated, for dessert.

What will supper be?

Post 891

ITIWBS

Coking at a friend's for Xmas day, buffet at church late afternoon.

What will supper be?

Post 892

I'm not sure if it was last year, or the year before, but our Christmas dinner was a disaster. Everything prepared and then cooked as I would. All going very well - until I cut into the chicken breast.

Swathes of green running through it, bright green. Without a clue as to the cause, we didn't dare try the bird nor the gravy, leaving us pretty much potatoes, bread dressing and veggies.

Learned a day or two later that it is not uncommon for fowl to get very excited in the shipping and handling stages. In essence, tearing muscles from exertions, and then these tears die. Parts of the bird were dead before the whole creature was. Hence a small percentage of birds being thrown away in the production side of a KFC or similar enterprise.

In the end, I could have cut away the green and enjoyed the rest. Lesson learned too late. smiley - sadface

What will supper be?

Post 893

Bush advisor Karl Rove used to say that nothing green had ever passed through his lips. He meant vegetables, but green chicken would surely be unappetizing to a wide swath of people. smiley - yuk

What will supper be?

Post 894

All the Christmas eating from post #890 were very good.

Mrs Rev was given an 8-pack of hot chocolate mixes, so she had salted English toffee and I had hazelnut.

There was no bacon in the house, so I seared some thick slices of ham. And even the mix-from-powder Hollandaise sauce was nice.

And everything for dinner came out perfect - including the gravy that I forgot to mention. As I often do, I made way too much bread dressing and had enough for almost 20 people. But hey, one can never have too much dressing and gravy. smiley - laugh

What will supper be?

Post 895

ITIWBS

You did right to throw the green meat away.

What will supper be?

Post 896

From any writings that I can find, the rest of the bird would have been fine. But there is no way that I would have been able to persuade the Mrs Rev to eat any, so the whole 5 or so pounds was bagged and binned.

What will supper be?

Post 897

Yesterday, my family gathered at my brother's house for a big feast centered around roast beef. I brought some beef and green beans back with me, and used them as the basis for a beef stew I made for tonight's supper. smiley - smiley

What will supper be?

Post 898

Thursday, there was no interest in cooking. In recent days, a little furry boy named Shadow lost all interest in food and faded from a peak of almost 16 pounds to well under 8 pounds. Before his weakness and discomfort got too bad, we took him to a place to enter the eternal sleep. We gave him a good home, and he gave us a lot of affection and occasional nuisance for over 15 years.

So supper was just a couple of dishes of delivered Italian foods.

What will supper be?

Post 899

Shadow has gone to live among the shadows smiley - rose So sorry. smiley - sadface

My sister had a beautiful dog named Shadow, a hyperactive black dog (probably with a bit of Dalmatian and Black lab in her) who burst through a screen during a thunderstorm, and got stranded on the roof of the nearby deck smiley - yikes . In her last months, she had degenerative hip disease, so my sister had to help her get up.

What will supper be?

Post 900

Sunday supper was expecting guests. They cancelled, and it's their loss. We make a helluva fine lasagna - with crispy golden garlic bread.

Key: Complain about this post

What will supper be?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more